Cheat Meal

Options
InquiryQueen
InquiryQueen Posts: 4 Member
edited June 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I'd still like to keep one "cheat" meal a week while I'm losing weight. It helps me to get out of the "Last Supper" mentality of thinking I'll never be able to have (insert food) again, so I should gorge now and start my diet tomorrow.

Any thoughts on this? Does anyone allow themselves one meal a week to eat anything they want?

I'm not talking about an entire day of cheating either, one meal, one hour time frame max.

I look forward to reading your thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This has been asked many many times. You'd benefit from searching for it, as there are several takes.

I'm in maintenance (16 years). I don't plan "cheat meals". I just know that life happens. Indulgences happen. I tend to let them happen when they do, which is typically dinner out with my husband. We enjoy a nice meal, and then I return to regularly scheduled programming.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I could eat 2000+ calories over the course of an hour, easily. Or even in one meal, honestly.

But, what I will do is plan to have something yummy that's higher in calories than my usual food - like pizza! I'll bank calories and plan accordingly so it'll fit.

I don't think of it as cheating, though.

~Lyssa
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I got what I want into my weekly calories, that was there's no deprivation and I'm losing weight at the expected rate.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Set MFP so you lose 1 pound per week. Subtract 100-150 calories per day from that and put them 'in the bank'. At the end of the week you'll have 600-900 calories left over to eat whatever you fell like. This way you are not 'cheating'. You're just eating.

Good luck.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    I still eat the foods I want, just in appropriate calories that fit my daily (or weekly, if I go out) goal.
  • hannat5017
    hannat5017 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I usually have cheat meal or two on the weekends. Sometimes I gain a little but I always lose and then some. It helps me stay on track the rest of the week. I also don't tell myself I can't have anything I just plan for some things or maybe substitute. Like tonight we had brats and instead of potatoes on the grill like we used to do we did veggies instead! And maybe I'll eat lower calorie meals and skip snacks if I'm not super hungry that way I don't go way way way over lol