What do I do? I want to cry!

Options
2»

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Makoce wrote: »
    Back a couple years ago I started MFP. It was so easy in the beginning I wondered why everyone couldn't lose weight and why I hadn't done it sooner. I started at 200lbs and it just fell off.
    I soon developed an obsession with the scale going down and in the end was left with anorexia at 97lbs.
    After a year I began binging. It was horrible for the first 6 months. I was packing away days worth of calories in one day.

Fast forward to where I am now. The blind binging has subsided for the most part. But I am always hungry. Always. I've had blood tests. Been on medications for BED from Psychatrist's and doctors. Nothing warrants any help.
    I try to track my calories but even at 1600 I find it hard to not go way over goal while still listening to my hunger cues. Yet years ago 1200 was easy as hell. I get really angry and shakey if I don't eat often. Normally not so great food for you is the only thing that keeps me satisfied for more than a couple hours. I thought maybe low blood sugar.
    All I know is I'm up 60lbs this year.

I just need some advice or help or some experience from someone. Thanks for listening to me rant.

You're getting some solid advice

I just want to say that 1200 calories was easy for you because you had an eating disorder. So don't beat yourself up that 1600 is challenging now. I agree with the suggestion to go to maintenance and slowly reduce from there. Binge eating is often a mind game. For some, it's caused by the past history of restriction and then bingeing. For others it's like an outlet for stress, a habit to fall back on. From what I understand it's a common issue for those recovering from anorexia.

Cut yourself a break here. You are re-learning how to eat normally and what hunger is and what a "normal" relationship is with food. Awesome job keeping up with the therapy as well.

Take a step back and recognize that you're struggling and that continuing to try to force this deficit is going to cause you to stay in the binge/restrict cycle. (It took me a long time to recognize that I was trying the same thing over and over before giving up a deficit temporarily). Easing up the restrictions and allowing yourself to eat to satisfaction and beginning to understand what/how much/when you need to eat will hopefully be a big step towards stopping the bingeing. As you feel more comfortable (and find maintenance) you can slowly start creating a deficit (maybe start with 1/2 pound a week loss). It WILL be easier if you give yourself time to adjust to it.