Canned tomatoes
    Frozen fruit
    Bannans
    Limited perishables
    Powdered milk
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Frozen cauliflower, spinach, and broccoli, in "family pack" value sizes.
    Lentils
    Black beans
    onions and garlic
    Cabbage
    A "family pack" block of cheddar
    A big bag of tortillas

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    OP what stores do you have available?

Cheap ingredients you can build meals around:

-eggs
    -beans (I can get canned beans for .50 a can or a big bag fo around $1-look at dollar stores for the bags)
    -cheapy bread and soft tortilla shells
    -frozen veggies
    -gallon of milk
    -rice
    -frozen meat-tubes of ground beef and turkey/bags of chicken tenderloins/breasts
    -couple bags of shredded cheese (or block if its cheaper, but you need to be able to shred it)
    -potatoes, potatoes and more potatoes :) (there's a million recipes out there that use potatoes as a base)
    -bananas and any other fruit that's on sale (oranges are really cheap right now, look at store ads for the weekly loss leaders)
    -fresh veggies that are cheap/on sale (carrots, onions, leafy greens etc)
    -spices (hit the dollar store for these, for any that you're missing. You can use them to add flavor to dishes, make taco seasoning etc
    -tub of margarine
    -as funds allow-ketchup, syrup, mustard etc

Do you have any baking ingredients on hand? Things like flour, sugar, baking soda/powder, salt, chocolate chips etc. If you don't it's worth spending $10 or so of your budget getting these things-you can use them to make everything from snacks/desserts, to biscuits and bread, pancake mix etc etc. My baking cupboard is the most important cupboard in my kitchen and is ALWAYS fully stocked.

OP-I've been where you're at (except I was feeding a family of 5 on $60). What I've learned from that experience is to always buy 1-2 extra items every time I get groceries (sometimes I could only afford a can of corn, other weeks I could make it work to buy extra meat to go in the freezer etc). It took a while, but I now have a stocked kitchen/deep pantry and even if I couldn't get to the store for a few weeks my family would be fed well. Just something to think about as you go forward :)
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Here's what I'd get, but your tastes may vary.
    -Oatmeal (quick cooking and store brand, steel cut and organic isn't necessary unless it's just what you like)
    -Large bag of shredded cheese (you can save a little with the bulk and separate it out into smaller bags and freeze or get a block and shredded it yourself and freeze)
    -beans
    -tortillas
    -store brand bread
    -bananas
    -bag of apples
    -bag of oranges
    -bag of potatoes
    -frozen chicken
    -those steam in bag frozen veggies
  • Liamsm0m
    Liamsm0m Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If you have an Aldi, try there first. Your $50 will go much further. I would buy eggs (lots), lean turkey (at mine, it’s cheaper than the beef), canned tuna, cottage cheese, fruits, veggies... pasta is a good choice too.