Hiccup in routine - how do I resolve?

Options
sofchak
sofchak Posts: 862 Member
So I am about 7 weeks into the StrongLifts 5x5 program. I lift on Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Unfortunately, due to unplanned circumstances, I won't be able to make it to the gym today to do my Sunday lift routine.

With that said, what do you do in this situation? Do you lift on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday instead? Do you skip the day and just keep the rest of the week on schedule? Would you mess up the rest of your weekly routine to go to the gym Monday, Wednesday and Friday instead to still get in three days with a rest day between? Thanks in advance for feedback.

Replies

• kincharles
    kincharles Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Personally I would skip the day - the day off between sessions is to give your body time to repair itself, you could possibly do more harm than good if you tie 2 next to each other (Mon then Tue). As for changing your entire routine, if this is a one of event that stopped you then I, again personally, wouldn't change my entire weekly routine for just a week to try and hit the 3 day weekly goal of lifting (unless you are able to change it so that becomes your new regular schedule)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Either option is fine. Whatever works best. Being a novice program, you are in the same position relatively and really no harm at this point in program.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I would just skip it. An extra rest day shouldn't hurt, and then you won't be messing up your schedule. I'd only change the routine if missing Sunday was going to be a regular occurrence.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the prompt replies everyone! Really appreciate the feedback from people who have real knowledge on the topic. Consensus says make it a rest day. Luckily won't be a regular issue - home remodeling so had to wait around for appliances to be delivered today.