Calculating ham hock in pea and ham soup?

Christine_72
Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
I'm making a pea and ham soup tonight, and the hock i add weighs 1kg (2.2lbs), this obviously includes the bone and fatty pieces that i don't add to the soup. Once it's cooked i shred the meat off, add it back to the soup and discard the bone and fat chunks. So i assume, when i'm adding the recipe into mfp that i only weigh the actual meat i add back in the soup, not the whole 1kg hock? I wonder if this will affect the sodium content, and if it cooks out into the soup in the cooking process, which isn't a huge deal, the calories are the most important thing.

What do you guys do, just add the the whole hock into your recipe and be done with it, or be more precise and and only enter the weight of the meat re-added into the soup? I'm thinking it's the latter.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Yum!

I avoid making things that go in the too hard basket. Like i'd rather cook two weighed steaks than a roast with a bone that I have to work out weights for after cooking.
  • Christine_72
    Yum!

I avoid making things that go in the too hard basket. Like i'd rather cook two weighed steaks than a roast with a bone that I have to work out weights for after cooking.

Lol I'm usually the same, and in the past just added the whole 1kg hock into my recipe. But I've recently reduced my calories, and don't want to rip myself off of a single one!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Yum!

Lol I'm usually the same, and in the past just added the whole 1kg hock into my recipe. But I've recently reduced my calories, and don't want to rip myself off of a single one!

Could you perhaps take it out, weigh the meat and use an entry for cooked ham?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited June 2017
    I use separate entries for the split pea soup and ham hock meat w/o bone.

I use the ham hock for flavor while cooking the soup and then remove it and dice up the meat, which I weigh/add to the soup in individually measured portions later.
  • Christine_72
    Yum!

Could you perhaps take it out, weigh the meat and use an entry for cooked ham?
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I use separate entries for the split pea soup and ham hock meat w/o bone.

I use the ham hock for flavor while cooking the soup and then remove it and dice up the meat, which I weigh/add to the soup in individually measured portions later.

Yep, these seem like the best options :+1:
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    That's a challenge. I'd probably do it this way: Weigh the hock. Simmer. Weigh it, and log the difference in weight as "pork fat". Then I'd pull off the ham, and weigh/log that before putting back in the soup.

Sounds delicious. :)