kayaking

Options
Sara2652
Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
Hi, I want to start kayaking.

What kind should I get?

I live in a place with easy access to Lake Michigan and the Root River (boat launch is a block away) although I'd likely want to be on the lake more then the river. I don't see myself doing rapid like stuff. I have a 25lb dog who I might like to bring with me if its not too much hassle.

I've used an ocean kayaks and that was along time ago. I lack a lot of upper body strength and I'm overweight...I don't know how much thats going to effect things.

One day when I get healthy I want to go on a kayak camping trip in the Puget sound.

Thanks!

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    You want completely different types of kayaks for rivers and lakes, unfortunately, so whatever you get will be great at one thing only. But it sounds like you're leaning toward a sea kayak. That would do beautifully on a big lake, and also in Puget Sound. A 17 foot boat is ideal here. (But if you're going to come out for a kayak trip, consider camping on Diablo or Ross Lake in the North Cascades instead, these are inland glacial fjords with camps that are only accessible by boat.)

Can you rent before you decide?
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    If you're in the Racine area, it's a bit of a hike; however, Laacke & Joys in Brookfield does day rentals.

http://www.ljoutdoors.com/rentals/
  • Sara2652
    Options
    @NorthCascades I will keep that in mind! It will be a few years out as I need to get in shape and save up for it. Have you kayaked on the Sound? Have you seen whales while kayaking? That would be a dream come true!

@Derf_Smeggle Thanks, I will check them out. I know I can rent a kayak here in Racine on the river but I don't know about for the lake.
  • Sara2652
    Options
    @NorthCascades Wow, I just google earthed Diablo and Ross Lake, breathtaking!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    For the river (assuming fairly placid), you can get an inflatable kayak. I bought one for $69 from Amazon.

Intex Explorer K2 Kayak - 2-Person Inflatable Kayak Set with Aluminum Oars and High Output Air Pump - 10.25ft https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A7EXF4C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_AhGpzbPQDAECK

I use it on the bayous around here. It's $50 to rent a kayak here, so well with the money. I've taken it out about 4 times so far and it's worked great. Went out today with my husband, so a combined weight of about 350lbs.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm a sit on top fan. I have a ocean kayak trident 11 and my father bought the 13' version the same day. If your not going to white water kayak go 11+ imo. I personally wish I bought the 13' trident as it tracks extremely well just seems faster. If I was mostly doing lakes I would go 14 without a second thought.

Sit on tops are nice because if you flip you can get back on easy and they are hard to flip anyways.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Plus if you like fishing they are way better. alot of room for storage and easier to grab the fish
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think its most important to buy from someplace you can try it out before purchasing. We have 2 Perception Expression 15'. It was moderately priced $800, goes in a straight line instead of in circles like the cheapo ones. I would also get a skeg again if I ever buy a new one.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Unless the river has whitewater type rapids, you can use the same kayak for lakes and rivers. Most people start with a 10 or 12 footer. If you want to bring the dog a sit atop or a much longer kayak with a cargo spot for it to lay might me a better idea.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Sara2652 wrote: »
    @NorthCascades Wow, I just google earthed Diablo and Ross Lake, breathtaking!

I've paddled on Puget Sound and on Ross Lake and I'd go to the lake any day. I've seen whales on the Sound from the ferry but not kayaking; on Ross I've seen otters and bears. And giant, glacier clad mountains.

Send me a note when you head out this way if you want detailed recommendations Linn the best camps. :smile: