Keto & Macros

Options
Wondering who out there follows the Keto woe and what you're using for macros?
I'm 20g carb, 50-60g protein and 120g fat.
I'm always afraid that I'm taking in too much protein.. but also afraid I'm taking in too little because I'm fairly active.
I've checked out my fair share of books, online resources, posts, and podcasts but still find it confusing.
Suggestions?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    You may be a bit low on the protein. Ketosis is generally moderate protein. Low protein is usually only used for medically needed ketogenic diets. For those of us who do not need high ketones, moderate protein is quite healthy.

If you are active, your protein may be a bit low for your needs.

Phinney and Volek have a fair amount written on protein levels for nutritional ketogenic diets. They usuallu advise modeate protein.

The Low Carber Daily MFP group has some good info on protein. You may want to check it out.

My calories were higher than yours. I had similar fat and carbs but my protein was 20-30g more than you, and I'm relatively inactive. IDK, I figure extra protein is probably better than not enough. KWIM?
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I suggest you check out the following main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketophiles (low carbers) tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

I also follow Keto. FWIW, currently my macros are: 65% fat, 25% protein, 10% carbs. For me this equates to about 110-120g/fat, 100-110g/protein, 40g/carbs per day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2017
    Options
    That protein is a bit low, but protein should be aligned to your goals. What are your overall goals when it comes to you fitness journey?

Most of the studies i have seen from Vokey/Phinney have people around 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass.

And you need a crap ton of protein to kick you out of ketosis if that is your concern.
  • Bigpuma100
    Bigpuma100 Posts: 33 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I agree with the above comment. Protein should be based on what your particular goals are. To much protein turns to fat. I think people misinterpret on how much protein we need. A lot of people think the more the better. This is false! To give you a more accurate answer need to know more info.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Bigpuma100 wrote: »
    I agree with the above comment. Protein should be based on what your particular goals are. To much protein turns to fat. I think people misinterpret on how much protein we need. A lot of people think the more the better. This is false! To give you a more accurate answer need to know more info.
    How does protein turn to fat? And "too much" in what context? And how much protein do you think people need?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

With all due respect, the only thing that turns to fat is calories in excess of TDEE. This is not dependent on Macronutrients. Fats, Carbs, Protein will all be stored as fat if calories are in excess of TDEE. Conversely, none will in a calorie deficit.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excess-protein-and-fat-storage-qa.html/
  • ashliedeee
    ashliedeee Posts: 14 Member
    Options

What more do you need to know
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ashliedeee wrote: »

What more do you need to know

What are your goals? What are your stats? What is your exercise routine?