8 day vacation - any advice how to eat?

Options
Im away on a trip to Austin and Vegas. I will be eating out every meal! Any tips on how to stay on track to 1500-1700 cals per day?

Replies

• JNieves12015
    JNieves12015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Stick with clean eating. If you have to modify meal choices to fit what would be the best nutrient dense foods, do it. I have a habit of sticking to Leafy greens, vegetables, protein, nuts and seeds, fruits and getting plenty of water in everyday. Also, ask for suggestions based on your diet needs. Have a great time on your vacation!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast, and choose healthier options for other meals unless it's something amazing or special,and something I can't get at home.

Local trips aren't going to offer food that's really culturally diverse, so I'd stick with simple things I can track more easily and ask for swaps/changes. Vegies instead of fries/potato mash, salad with dressing on the side, grilled meats instead of fried etc.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    ooohhh. I'd have to take a diet break in Vegas. So much good food there, plus you walk so much in Vegas that I've never gained when there, even eating at the Wynn buffet.

Now I want to go to Vegas.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Do you have to eat in restaurants, or can you buy some stuff in grocery stores and do some quick grab and go meal prepping?
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm about to hit the road for 14 days but I'll be in a condo with a kitchen. I travel a lot during a certain portion of the year and I can't think of a hotel room I've had that didn't have a refrigerator. Make use of it. Stop at a store find some healthy snack choices and have small meals of those through the day to help satiate the appetite and the eyes may not be so big when a menu is put in front of you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I like on holiday, I don't track or worry about it. I enjoy all the food and quite a few cocktails. I also walk a lot on holiday.

I have never gained weight that has stuck round longer than a week or 2 after I get back to a deficit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ooohhh. I'd have to take a diet break in Vegas. So much good food there, plus you walk so much in Vegas that I've never gained when there, even eating at the Wynn buffet.

Now I want to go to Vegas.

I went to Vegas on honeymoon... got free breakfast buffet vouchers at MGM grand... ate all the food including cookies for breakfast... only put on a pound... so disappointed in myself!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I just enjoy myself on vacation...usually all of the moving around and whatnot cancels out the whole more food and alcohol thing.

That said, I often only eat a couple of times per day...usually a brunch and dinner. If I have breakfast, it's usually pretty small...if it's a big breakfast I'm usually only up for something lite for lunch.

It all works itself out and I don't stress about it really...vacation is for fun.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Stick with clean eating. If you have to modify meal choices to fit what would be the best nutrient dense foods, do it. I have a habit of sticking to Leafy greens, vegetables, protein, nuts and seeds, fruits and getting plenty of water in everyday. Also, ask for suggestions based on your diet needs. Have a great time on your vacation!

how does one eat clean in vegas, and what definition of clean are we operating on?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - I would suggest trying to go with a lighter breakfast and lunch and then a larger dinner. I tend to not worry too much on vacations, as I now I am probably slightly over eating, but I usually know where the over doing it line is.

If you have some time try and get in a few light gym sessions...
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    If I'm going on vacation I don't worry about eating. Vacations are for relaxing and for play.

However, I often feel my days are too packed to focus much on eating anyway. Last time I went on vacation I ended up losing 2-3 unintended pounds, probably from all the walking and the fact I only ate when I could find a moment.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I notice that if I start my day healthy I can keep it up.

For breakfast: 2 eggs with fruit and or yogurt.
    Lunch: chicken and veggies, salad without a lot of non veggie toppings (use the form method for dressing)
    Dinner: see lunch options, fish or steak. Just watch for how things are cooked and what they are served with.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a 10 day Hawaii trip and have to say in spite of all my good intentions I totally blew it. But, it's only 10 days out of the last 545 so no worries. Getting back on track has been harder than I thought, but I'm getting there. Have fun! That's what vacations are all about.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    I'm about to go on a week's vacation to Maui. Typically I skip breakfast and I'll try to stick to lots of fresh fish - ceviche, sushi, poké..!! I can't wait! :smiley: