lose inches but not pounds?

Options
I'm just curious if anyone would have to know the answer to a question. I've noticed that many times when I hit a plateau I tend to lose several inches during that time. Which I'm not complaining about because I'd prefer to lose inches sometimes over weight but I was wondering how that can happen. Anybody have any insight on how that's possiblevor physiology behind it? Because it seems to me that if you're losing inches pounds would correlate...

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of is an increase in muscle and decrease in water or fat. Muscle is heavier than water or fat, so if you gain 1 lb of muscle and lose 1 lb of water/fat, you will be smaller because the lb of muscle is smaller even though weight is the same.
  • Danalynn39
    Danalynn39 Posts: 38
    Options
    I am the same way. I will see changes in how my clothes fit. But the scale will not budge. Then I'll get a quick drop. And go a while with nothing again. I've been doing training with weights and have see a loss of 3.2 total over three weeks. I keep telling myself just avoid the scale. And go with how I feel. As long as everything else fits. Your eating clean, working out. It will fall into place.