I loss weight and body fat but my bmi increased.

Options
When I first started this program I went to the gym and had everything done from weight, body fat and bmi. Two weeks later I brought a scale made by weight watchers that does all of these things. When I got on everything had went up which is to be expected since I wasn't really exercising. But a week later with exercising and eating below my calories I have lost 2 pounds and my body fat has gone down. However my bmi has gone up. Can anyone tell me how that is possible and what I have to do to get that to decrease?

Replies

• thepiratemd
    Options
    1.)these scales that measure body fat aren't accurate
    2.) muscle is more dense than fat. if you are losing fat and replacing it with the same volume of muscle, you are going to have increased weight. then your BMI goes up
  • scottgobuck
    scottgobuck Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    In my opinion BMI is a joke...I am 6' and weigh 202 and if you go by bmi I am overweight and close to obese when in reality I am not overweight at all. My doctor told to ignore the bmi because it doesnt take into account muscle mass and in my case if I weighed 180 like the bmi says i should I would be wat too small
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Scales are notoriously wrong when calculating body fat % and really anything else other then your weight and even that is sometimes suspect.

It's not really possible for your BMI to go up when you lose weight, because it's based strictly on your height and weight.

Here is a BMI chart, it doesn't even take into account gender or age: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/bmi_tbl.pdf