Running, Shin pain, HELP!?

Options
I have recently been put on a strict no bread, rice, pasta, grain-based diet until I see a nutritionist. Anyhow, I started to run (more like jog) a couple days a week. This was my second week and my shins have been killing me. At first I thought it was shin splints, however, I have only pain in one spot (on both legs) and it hurts to bend/walk/stretch. Someone suggested stress fracture?? I am new to all of this but, if I do have fractures how in the heck will I be able to continue to lose weight and exercise? I am super worried. Thanks for any advice. (*Disclaimer: I do realize no one is a medical professional and cannot be bound by their word. Any reply given to this discussion is merely a suggestion of what it could be and that I need to seek proper medical care if need be.)

Replies

• KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself but for me (as explained by my physio) shinsplints are caused by a couple of knots of muscle in my legs that sort of stop the impact of hitting the ground from being distributed properly - the solution is to not put my heels down while running, i.e. run on the front part of my foot.

I would recommend getting it checked out by a doctor or physio and then coming up with a solution but don't push it. If it is a fracture you may be able to work out in water instead - walking in the pool or aquajogging etc
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but I know that when I run, my shins (and eventually knees) start to hurt like hell. Personally, I think it's because I'm too fat to run, and that all the weight I'm carrying is bearing down on my joints when I run for more than a couple minutes.

• Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    My first recommendation would be to go to a good running store and get fitted for proper shoes. I think about 95% of the time shin pain is from improper or worn out shoes.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My first recommendation would be to go to a good running store and get fitted for proper shoes. I think about 95% of the time shin pain is from improper or worn out shoes.

This x1000.

Then, shin splints are due to strained muscles along the front of your shin that lift your toes upward. An exercise to strengthen these muscles can be as simple as tapping your foot. Try tapping your feet every time you brush your teeth. (Using your time wisely! ) Good luck and happy running!
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I am thinking shinsplints too and I totally agree with CMNVA and Tried30User.

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    [1] That's pretty common when you first start to run, and should start to get better as your body adjusts.
    [2] Watch your form (and possibly try different shoes).
  • lbuxx17
    lbuxx17 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have you tried rolling the front of (kinda to the side) of the shin on a foam roller? It will hurt like hell and brought tears to my eyes but made the shin pain go away. Also try rolling the quads and the area on both sides of the top of the calf right below your knee - use a racquet ball on the back of the calf areas.
    It hurts like hell but knees and shins don't hurt when I get done.