I need motivation getting back on track

Options
I am 31 years old, 5'5" 227 pounds, my highest weight is 230. I could use more friends on here to inspire me and keep me motivated and accountable. I am trying to stick with 1200 calories a day for the next couple of weeks, I will be on vacation then. When I am on vacation I will probably be a little higher calorie than that, but still stay on track. I will be there for almost 3 weeks so I don't want to binge or go completely overboard. I could use any kind of support.

Replies

• bethany_rose8
    bethany_rose8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Going from how much you way, you need to eat a lot more then that. Something closer to 1600-1700 would be a more suitable calorie goal to lose weight, otherwise you are likely to feel starving and fall off the wagon. Cutting too severely is what caused my binge eating in the past. You don't have to be extreme for results
  • bethany_rose8
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Weigh not way *
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Going from how much you way, you need to eat a lot more then that. Something closer to 1600-1700 would be a more suitable calorie goal to lose weight, otherwise you are likely to feel starving and fall off the wagon. Cutting too severely is what caused my binge eating in the past. You don't have to be extreme for results

1000% agree, do not immediately drop to 1200, it will not be sustainable. Start out at about 1700 calories track your progress. If you plateau, drop 5% calories and see what happens. This is not an exact science unfortunately so there is always going to be trial and error. Keep protein high, 50-55%, 20% fat and the rest carbs. Goodluck.
  • annabel92
    annabel92 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think 1200 is a bit too low to start off with and as they've said above may result in increased cravings etc. You want to make sure it's sustainable.

It doesn't mean you can't get to 1200 (I eat 1200-1300 now), but I would recommend going in stages so that it becomes a lifestyle change! :)

• linreadsy
    linreadsy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Add me. I'm in a similar boat... I'm headed to Hawaii for 2 weeks at the end of the month and while I plan to enjoy the food there, 2 weeks is too long to throw caution to the wind. Also, I have been at this for 2 months...eating between 1100 and 1400 most days and am down 25 lbs (from 267 to 242). I don't feel like I'm starving...and if I do, I eat more. I'm pretty sedentary still and MFP set my calorie goal at 1230.
  • saskiavanson88
    saskiavanson88 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    A while back i started with 1200 calories a day as well, it worked for a couple days and then i became so hungry that I ate everything, then I felt guilty and went back to 1200. in the end I only gained weight. it is better to keep your calorie count a little higher and excersice with it. It will be better for long term
  • shannonriggs2014
    shannonriggs2014 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good luck. You seem like you have your mindset right. Know that you are the only one who can do this and you are doing it for you; your body, heart, mind will all thank you! I am in a similar situation and wish you all the best!
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    JJS1979 wrote: »

1000% agree, do not immediately drop to 1200, it will not be sustainable. Start out at about 1700 calories track your progress. If you plateau, drop 5% calories and see what happens. This is not an exact science unfortunately so there is always going to be trial and error. Keep protein high, 50-55%, 20% fat and the rest carbs. Goodluck.

I agree with eating more. You don't need 50-55% protein though. I think working up to 30% is fine.
  • fitnfab30s
    fitnfab30s Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I will make sure to up my calories in a couple of weeks, this isn't going to be through my whole journey. I would never be able to keep that up. I just have a vacation coming up in a couple of weeks and would like to see some difference before I go . Also it's more of just a goal, but I know I can eat more if I feel I need it. My period is going to be here a couple of days so if I eat a couple or few hundred calories over I am not going to beat myself up. It's really just a starting place and a way to get myself tracking. If I go over, I am okay with that. I just need to start.
  • bethany_rose8
    Options
    Okay just remember to keep your eyes open for warnings signs of undereating