Frustrated and down

Options
I need some help today. Really feeling down. I have been going strong changing my habits for the past 2 months. The first month I lost 15 lbs now this 2nd month I've list nothing. I'm still eating healthy getting over 50% protein calories and have added in 3x a week weight classes I just don't get why the scale isn't budging. I could maybe understand if I was a bit more got and didn't have another 40 to lose but this is ridiculous.

Also sorry for such a negative post but I needed to get my feelings written down and hopefully hear from others that have been in similar situations.

Replies

• SABoj
    SABoj Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself! First off, congratulations on your successes so far! That's really amazing. It sounds like you're doing a great job and sticking with it - that's half of the battle. Don't let this little speed bump slow you down.
    If you're lifting weights, then chances are that you are building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat! So it is entirely possible to see your weight temporarily hit a plateau when building strength. But the good news is that it's temporary. Keep your diet clean and keep working hard and that plateau will break. Stay strong, stay positive and keep up the good work! Best Wishes.
  • MySweetLavinia
    MySweetLavinia Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When did you start the weight classes? When you start strength training it can cause you to retain water for awhile. Have patience, it will go eventually.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    15lbs is a crazy amount in a month, unless your well over 300lbs. That being said, are you weighing and logging your food accurately? Eating at a deficit?
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    Options
    Well, muscle is more dense than fat. You maybe losing inches.

Agree new weight training efforts retain water. Give it time.

If you read WL boards much it doesn't take long to see that nearly everyone is done in by their own brain. Negative WL think will quickly leap to the conclusion that either it's not working or taking so long it's not worth it. Commit to the process. 7.5 lbs per month is pretty good. Try to keep an attitude of experimentation.

You've decided on your current program for specific reasons. Although a month seems like a long time, it may not be a long enough test. When you decide to adjust, make modest changes until you get a downward trend. Ride the trend. Regardless of your macro mix, you still need a cal deficit to lose weight.

Because you want to lose weight and train with weights, I assume you are in pursuit of health and fitness. Good for you. Weight loss saved my life. Weight loss is liberation. Never quit. You only need to keep adjusting and testing until you get the results you want. In fact, if you keep adjusting, you cannot fail in the end. Weight training taught me incrementalism, wish I had done it sooner. Good luck.
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Can you give us a little more information? Height? Starting weight? Current macros/calorie intake? It is possible you lost weight too fast and your body is just adapting. I agree with 2011rocket, unless you are really overweight, losing 15lbs in a month is probably too fast. Definitely make sure you are weighing and tracking your food. While you certainly can be putting on muscle (if you are still experiencing beginners gains), if you are indeed in a caloric deficit you should still be losing some fat.
  • CPFitnessIsFun
    CPFitnessIsFun Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I really appreciate the advice. I won't let the negative thoughts win!!!

I started at 228 and now at 211. I'm a 5'6 female. I have been doing a C25k running program 3 x a week then walk to get in 10K-15K steps a day. I have been drinking over 130 oz of water a day calorie intake ranges from 1000 to 1400 a day. I weigh all my food, not measure but weight in grams, and eat 5 small meals throughout the day. I will admit I'm lazy and two meals are usually a protein shake. I also do a Extreme Fitness Class 3 times a week that last approximately 40 minutes. OMG is it killer :) I am definitely getting stronger but just so hard when you don't see a number on the scale move or worse go up when you feel you are doing things right. I

will admit that besides the blues over a number I feel SO MUCH better, after all I can jog again.

Typical Day Macro Count
    Calories 1172
    Carbs 81.1 - 27%
    Fat 31.7 - 24%
    Protein 149.4 - 49%

• BanksyTime
    BanksyTime Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. You're doing great! I've found that weight loss isn't linear and expecting it to continue at the same pace consistently will result in frustration. Just keep your eye on the long-term goal. Keep up the good work!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    Options
    CP- this strikes me as very aggressive. If you lose with a regime you can't live with long term, it will be very difficult to maintain. WL takes place mostly in the kitchen.

BTW, you don't seem lazy to me.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    How does your menstrual cycle currently play into your weight loss? Water weight from that can hide your weight loss for a couple of weeks each month.

4c38a8dedno3.jpg
  • CPFitnessIsFun
    Options
    Yes I am all about the numbers right now and staying to strict. I just need something to grasp for awhile in order to get through this hurdle.

@quiksylver296 that's a good point when I started the classes I got an early cycle and really this entire month has been odd for me. Thanks for the flow chart too. I have a Dr. Appt next week and will bring it up.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough. There is no way mfp would give you 1100 calories to start with. And it's recommended you eat at least some of your exercise calories.

Otherwise, have patience. You just lost 15 pounds! Your body needs time to adjust. Especially with the new weights program.
  • CPFitnessIsFun
    Options
    Thought I would update you all. So I went and started looking at anything different or new I had been doing as well as went to see my dr. First I realized I had started taking biotin supplement around the time I started to stall out on the weight loss. I stopped taking the biotin and didn't see a change for about a week. At the same time I got my blood work done at the Dr. and found I'm extremely anemic. I'm not taking 3 iron & c pills a day but the scale is now longer staying at the same number, or worse getting bigger. Because I'm not feeling run down my Dr. thinks the pills will be enough but last time I was this anemic I had to have infusions :(.

Now the good news, with the changes I made I'm happy to say I've now lost 2 lbs in almost a week.

Anyone ever hear of Biotin or Low Iron causing weight gain/plateau? I am thinking about taking the biotin again in a few weeks and see what happens.
  • vi2nie
    vi2nie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just cause the scale ain't moving doesn't mean ur not making progress. As long as your putting in the work your still making progress keep pushing...
  • CPFitnessIsFun
    Options
    vi2nie wrote: »
    Just cause the scale ain't moving doesn't mean ur not making progress. As long as your putting in the work your still making progress keep pushing...

So true, I can honestly say I'm so much stronger and absolutly loving it.