Apple watch or Fitbit for exercise, steps, and functionality?!

Options
KatC_88
KatC_88 Posts: 101 Member
What do yall use? I am debating on keeping my fitbit, but upgrading to charge HR or purchasing a apple watch. I am looking for pro's and con's. TIA!

Replies

• ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I just posted this in response to another thread. The pros for me are that it replaces the purpose of the fitbit AND lets me check my email, messages, calendar, heart beat, etc. It does a lot more than my fit one. A con is that it is stingy with the calories burned through exercise and you really have to work to get your exercise minutes. At first, this kind of ticked me off, but now I find it motivating.

I have been using a Fitbit one for the past couple of years and I liked how it helped me stay motivated. I just switched to the Apple watch series 2 this past week. I am still adjusting. I am also still wearing my Fitbit, because I participate in challenges with my friends. But, other than the challenges, there's no need for me to use the Fitbit. My watch tells me how many calories I've burned and I use MyFitnessPal to track my calories. The two work together pretty well. One big difference is that the Apple watch is much stingier (albeit more accurate) on how many calories I burn from my steps. For example, yesterday I walked over 11,000 steps (according to AW), with about 45 minutes of those being during an exercise walk. Apple Watch only gave me about 200 calories for the workout and gave me a negative calorie adjustment of about -40 for the rest of the day, so a net gain of 160 calories. Fitbit would have given me about 400 calories. I think AW is more accurate because it only gives you credit for calories that you would burn above and beyond a regular day. So, if it gives me 200 for my walk, it isn't counting the calories I would have normally burned during those 45 minutes (another 100). The Health App on my phone works with MFP so, between that and my AW, I have a complete picture of the day.
  • unstoppable46532
    unstoppable46532 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I currently changed by Fitbit for the Garmin Vivoactive HR. It's amazng and probably quite cheaper than the apple watch. It's water resistant so I take it swimming, it has GPS for when you ride your bike, takes your heart rate and makes sure you are in the right zone, etc. I absolutely love it! I really like the interface of Fitbit, and they have amazing Customer service, which is always a plus. But with my Garmin, you can see your activities trends, goals, and it is so much more insightful, I recommend you look into it. =)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Out of the two I'd probably go with the Apple but I love my Garmin (Fenix 5X) and wouldn't trade it for anything.