Trip to Europe. Help!!!

Options
kcspm
kcspm Posts: 43 Member
Hey guys, I'll be traveling from the US to a few countries in Europe at the end of August. Does anybody have any tips to stay on track while away on a trip? I want to be careful with what I eat but I definitely want to enjoy the trip. French pastries and italian carbs will be my downfall. Anybody in London, Paris or Rome willing to host me a diet version of your yummies? Haha

Replies

• eyer0ll
    eyer0ll Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes are generally much smaller in Europe than in the US. If it were me, I'd eat what I want, walk everywhere I could, and not worry about it. Enjoy your trip!
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    On top of that in most european cities everything is in walking distance, even in the capitals! So if you're doing it right you'll walk so much you won't have to worry about food a lot ;)
  • LotusCass
    LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm currently living in London & have done a few trips to the continent, & agree that portion sizes are much smaller over here which really helps. Enjoy the local food but just limit the amounts. Keep logging & do lots of walking. Most importantly- enjoy!!
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    We had some friends from the US visit Italy, France and the UK. They said that they soon got tired of the "native" foods, especially pizza and pasta in Italy. So, it may not be the problem you're anticipating.

When we went to Paris, we hardly ate anything as we were too busy wandering around the city. It's a wonderful place, I can't wait to go back when I've hit my target weight (DH <3 has promised!).
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I spent a month in Italy when I was early on in my MFP tenure, actively losing at that time. I still logged to the best of my ability, but wasn't super worried about it. We walked all over Florence all day every day (one of my biggest regrets is that I lost my FitBit Charger on the way over to Europe and I couldn't charge it to keep track of all the walking I was doing). I ate pastries for breakfast, a small lunch, gelato in the afternoon, and a traditional italian dinner (multiple smaller courses), usually with wine. After a month of this, I came back ~4 lbs heavier than when I left. Much of that was water weight and it was largely gone within a week or two.
  • iamunicoon
    iamunicoon Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I don't know about Rome and Paris, but London also has a lot of really great places where you can yummy AND healthy food rather than the typical fast food choices. And yes, you'll be walking SO much. So don't worry. When I went there with a friend last January, we definitely didn't hold ourselves back but I still lost almost six pound in a week.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    With the cities you are visiting, I would worry more about having a good pair of walking shoes rather than over eating. :)

As others have said, portion sizes are smaller and you are going to be doing a lot of walking- so much to see.

Enjoy the local restaurants and try to keep to the serving sizes you eat now.
    You have time to really learn how to eyeball your weighed portions.

Eating out in both Rome and London can be more expensive than in the USA, not been to Paris but expect it will be the same.

Cheers, h.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    When I went to Italy last September, I gave zero thought to my weight loss goals. I ate and drank what I wanted the entire 9 days. However, we did so much walking I actually lost weight! Also, there are a lot food options in Italy other than pasta and pizza. My favorite dish was a veal stew (and normally I'm a pasta/pizza girl all the way)!
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I'd simply enjoy the trip and get back on track when you get home (coming from someone who will probably never get to travel to Europe!)
  • kcspm
    kcspm Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks dvrryone for thr.encoursgement, tips and insights! @Luna3386 never say never ;)