Favorite protein powder recipes?

Options
abbynormalartist
abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
I'm really dying for a good mug cake I can make with my Trutein chocolate peanut butter protein powder.

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    30g whey, 10-15g cocoa powder, 40g applesauce, 1/4 tspn baking powder, splash of almond milk. I eat this every night. Swap coco for pb2, apple fo any pureed fruit, etc. Play around. Nuke 45-60 seconds
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Maybe my protein isn't whey because I tried this, minus the cocoa because my protein is already chocolate-flavored, and it came out like the weirdest science experiment. I nukee it for 60 seconds and it puffed up big, then shrunk down small, and was hard and the consistency of dense foam.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You have to play with the portions and ingredients until you get it right. Also the cook times. It's kind of an art form. If it is consistency of dense foam either add more applesauce or try cooking it slightly less. When I do it, I could it just long enough for "most" of it to cook, because if it over cooks it gets dry and hard to eat. Non-whey protein actually works better, part of the texture issue is the whey. There's only so much you can do to offset it.

If you don't mind the carbs or calories you can always sub in a little bit of almond or coconut flour, replace almond milk with full fat coconut milk, use butter or coconut oil instead of applesauce, etc.

Also the coco powder is sort of crucial for texture. Whey by it's self, again, does not really make a nice texture when cooked. The coco powder melts down and makes it a big fudgier depending on quantities and cook times. You could try a mixture of cocoa powder and pb2 in it.

I'll also say that when this recipe is nailed down, it's pretty good, but it's not going to be something you rave about. A "real" mug cake is always going to taste better. I'm a fan of flapjacked brand mighty muffins if you're open to just buying them premixed, the chocolate peanut butter ones are one of the better ones, but it's still a "protein muffin" so don't expect it to be jaw dropping. Just a different way to eat protein.

Here is a link to my past thread where I was still learning to make them

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10559239/easy-protein-mug-cake#latest
  • jazzy1lisa
    jazzy1lisa Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    High protein pancakes, basically u can just guesstimate everything, I use 2 scoops banana flavored protein powder with some flax seeds and plain oatmeal that I blended, also some spices like cinnamon,tsp of vanilla, I tap baking powder and 1 egg white and small amnt of almond milk maybe 1/2 c. Good luck
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could also use this one too...you could put some the following 'ice cream' on top of your protein cake. This was from another post

If you have a blender you can make protein ice cream, makes a giant bowl and has changed my life <3

60 ml sugar free maple syrup
    120 ml unsweetened almond milk
    30g protein powder (recommend chocolate or cookies n cream)
    Entire tray of ice cubes
    3g xanthan gum

Add everything to the blender let it go 4-5 minutes.

Pour into a bowl and top with more syrup and a few crushed up cookies or pb2.. whatever you have the calories for.

150-160 calories depending on PP used and toppings. I will never waste $5 on Halo Top again!

Credit to this youtube video skip to about 7 minutes in to see the magic happen

@Elventoad
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Thanks vegmebuff! I should add, make sure you add the xanthan gum last and only blend for about 20-30 more seconds or you will end up with more of a whipped texture instead of an ice cream texture. I've actually lowered the amount I use down to 1 gram and some different brands of protein powders already have xantham gum in them so you might not even need it. Check your PP :)

My Quest salted caramel does not need it but my Optimum Nutrition mint chocolate chip, chocolate mocha, and cookies n cream all need it.

Oh and 4-5 minutes might even be too long depending on how powerful your blender is. My old Oster took a little longer than my shiny new Ninja. Yes I am heavily invested into my protein "ice cream" :D