Eating healthy on a very strict budget.

Options
13»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    I've literally never seen nor heard of this until now. I guess it's kind of like shredded chicken and turkey forr meatballs and such?

It's already cooked, so it's not something I would use for meatballs. As others have said, it works for chicken salad, or anywhere else you might use cooked chicken that you've shredded or cubed from a whole roasted chicken or cooked chicken parts -- e.g., pot pie, mixing with barbecue sauce for "pulled" chicken sandwiches, appetizer spreads that call for cooked chicken, etc. I usually have one can on the shelf "for an emergency," and end up needing to use it so it doesn't expire because there's never an emergency. :smile:
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Bulk chicken, frozen veggies, rice, peanut butter, eggs, beans.
  • GingerPwr
    GingerPwr Posts: 1,983 Member
    Options
    I just started shopping at Aldi's recently and what a game-changer it is!!! It's the bomb!

Yes!!! Love Aldi!
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Yes.

When I need to eat less expensively, I focus my diet on staples like oats, rice, beans (dried beans are cheaper than canned), potatoes, pasta, frozen broccoli, cabbage, carrots, onions, and canned tomatoes. Some basic spices will jazz up your meals. Hot sauce is good too, if you like heat. The freezer can be very helpful in eating this way -- you can cook a pound or two of beans in the crockpot, put them in individual containers, and freeze what you don't plan on eating within a day or two.

I don't personally eat meat, eggs, or dairy -- but I am sure some other people will have suggestions on how to eat for less with these items too.

I am vegan as well and a frugal vegan diet is actually sooo cheap. When ive needed to, I've lived off grains, beans, frozen veg, bananas, potatoes and dollar store condiments. Bulk shopping for dried goods and big bags of frozen veggies and frozen fruits are ideal and also no shame in coupons
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    Meal planning.

I'm feeding four people, including teenagers, on about 600 a month and we eat well.

Sigh, I really envy you.

My wife said our family of 3 would literally die if she only spent $800 a month. I'm tired of arguments (over our daughter's overweight). So, whatever.

In our home it's some sort of an achievement if my wife could skip grocery shopping for 3 days. Her record is 2 days.
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    Meal planning.

I'm feeding four people, including teenagers, on about 600 a month and we eat well.

Sigh, I really envy you.

My wife said our family of 3 would literally die if she only spent $800 a month. I'm tired of arguments (over our daughter's overweight). So, whatever.

In our home it's some sort of an achievement if my wife could skip grocery shopping for 3 days. Her record is 2 days.

We spend at least that plus take out its insane
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I spend $600-$700 a month and I have 6 kids. I *do not* cook unless all the leftovers are eaten.
  • GingerPwr
    GingerPwr Posts: 1,983 Member
    Options

Sigh, I really envy you.

[/quote]

Any way y'all could plan your meals as a family? Shoot for healthier meals and a tighter budget but get everyone involved?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Depends where you shop as well. I feed out family of 5 with about $400 a month by mostly shopping at Aldi.

Same here... family of 5, and on average I spend $200/mo. Aldi cut my grocery bill in half! Shop the sales, especially for meat. Check out NYT recipes for delicious ideas to prepare the least expensive cuts. We smoke a whole chicken ($0.95/lb) on Sunday and it stretches several meals. The carcass makes a gallon of stock which makes soups for lunch the whole week. I loooove legumes of all kinds, and happily they're super good for you (high fiber and decent protein for a plant) and about $1/lb when bought dried. They last a long time in your pantry so no waste. Funny, the cheapest stuff I buy (cabbage, eggs, potatoes) is the "healthiest," and the kids' snack food (goldfish, veggie straws, candy) is the most spendy.

It's definitely doable!
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Meal planning.

Sigh, I really envy you.

It also depends on where you live. When I read Americans post things like $5 for a rotisserie chicken or $1 for a dozen eggs or sub-$1 prices for vegetables that would cost me three times as much, I have to wonder if they realize how lucky they are to have such inexpensive food.

Our monthly groceries are definitely over $800/month for four of us. Though that includes diapers and most of our toiletries.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    That's a big budget, I think. I spend 150 a month and I eat healthy foods. I don't buy candy, chips, etc. Totally doable.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Meal planning.

Sigh, I really envy you.

It also depends on where you live. When I read Americans post things like $5 for a rotisserie chicken or $1 for a dozen eggs or sub-$1 prices for vegetables that would cost me three times as much, I have to wonder if they realize how lucky they are to have such inexpensive food.

Our monthly groceries are definitely over $800/month for four of us. Though that includes diapers and most of our toiletries.

Im guessing you are Canadian, Our food prices are starting to reach out of control levels. When you compare them to US food prices, it makes me want to cry.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    That's a big budget, I think. I spend 150 a month and I eat healthy foods. I don't buy candy, chips, etc. Totally doable.

Not doable in Alberta, Canada. Fresh fruit and vegetables cost an arm and a leg here (though not nearly as bad as if we lived in Alaska or somewhere remote like that).
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »

Not doable in Alberta, Canada. Fresh fruit and vegetables cost an arm and a leg here (though not nearly as bad as if we lived in Alaska or somewhere remote like that).

Well, neither I nor the OP live in Alberta Canada, so you're not comparing relevant info. I live in Iowa, and he lives in Missouri. I also don't eat a lot of fresh fruit or vegetables because there's too much waste. I buy frozen vegetables, and a few fruits in season once in a while. Chicken, fish, pork, rice, various beans, lentils, all should be cheap for him.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    $200 a month is what I aim for- $50 a week.

I will say I eat low protein, especially meat because of kidney stones, but high dairy. I also eat on the high side of carbs. Eggs are a big amount of my protein besides dairy.

Use your store card- if they have an app that's has online coupons, use it. I've gotten some good deals with it, even target has cartwheel. And shop the sales, learn what a good price for something is and stock up when it is that price if it is something that will keep. If you like meat, figure out where the manager's special of meats that need to sell now is located.

Dry beans, rice and oatmeal are inexpensive too. Veggies can vary depending on where you live. Sometimes frozen veggies are a lot less expensive than fresh. Other times it's a wash.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I live in Alberta, too. We don't have Aldi's here. Agreed that fresh fruits and vegetables are the hardest. In the fall I've approached a neighbour if I could have his apples. They were free.