Exercise ideas for a heavy woman

Options
So I am currently 380 pounds. I have been doing my pedal bike every day to try and get exercise and decided to increase my time from 32 minutes to 40 minutes to 60 minutes in a period of 3 days and holy crap, am I sore today! I'm trying to incorporate more exercise into my routine but have the following limitations:
1) I get dizzy in the heat because of my blood pressure
2) I cannot afford a gym membership
3) We have limited space in our apartment

Anyone have any suggestions I could do besides just the pedal bike? It's great exercise, but I need to switch it up some so I can work some different muscles, and my body doesn't get used to the routine. Please keep in mind that I'm a 380 pound woman, so some exercise is quite difficult for me until I lose some of the weight.

Replies

• jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a computer You Tube has Leslie Sanson's Walk Away the Pounds videos for free. I started there at 260.8. Just stick with it...you'll get there!
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Start small... try walking! It's highly underrated. Commit to walking 1mile, 2 miles, 3 miles whatever and increase that each time.
    Additionally, get dumbells or resistance bands. Walking with light weights increases burn and works your arms.
    Also, Leslie Sansone has a ton of (VERY VERY AFFORDABLE) DVDs on Amazon, they are "walk away the pounds". These are no Jillian Micheals/ P90X videos- these are very low intensity, its just walking and some arm movement...and requires very little space. My mother was a big fan of these. Some even come with the resistance band or weights that you need. I jus took a look on amazon and they are all between 5-15 bucks.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    As the other posters suggested, I too say, walk!
  • KateBarnhart85
    KateBarnhart85 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    get some little ankle and wrist weights at walmart or some light dumb bells and just turn on some music and dance around or do side steps maybe some lunges, I would think just getting your heart rate up a bit and doing a little more each day would really help
  • nuttynetty114
    nuttynetty114 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I know you said you weigh 380, but there are some videos you can do while you SIT! Go to Amazon.com type in - Chair Dancing Fitness!
  • ashyd050
    ashyd050 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes, walking is a fantastic form of exercise! If you swing your arms as you walk, you'll burn even more calories. Make sure you stretch and drink water before and afterwards.
  • Irockursocks87
    Irockursocks87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Swimming :)
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    When I started at 399 - I walked. I would get very dizzy as well in the heat -- drink drink drink! I found I was sweating way more at 400 pounds than I could ever drink to compensate! I started with a time in mind -- walk 15 minutes... go as far as I could and the next day I tried to get further. Walking is an amazing exercise and is wonderful for weight loss... Once you start losing you will find you have more exercise to do other things. The Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds videos are awesome! I loved them and used them daily for a very long time through the winter months.

Also, some simple weights will help with arm strength and breaking up the other days exercise. Check out YouTube for upper body workouts for free -- I do the Butt Bible and that'a a great upper body (and lower body) workout in two seperate videos so you can decide what to do and when! Good luck and don't get discouraged -- there's always someone here to help :flowerforyou:
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    My most effective calorie burn came from Leslie Sansone's Ultimate 5 Day Walk Plan video. Better than the 30 Day Shred as far as burning calories and definitely more cheerful than Jillian. I looked forward to doing the video, rather than cursing it like I did with the Shred. It's available on Youtube if you want to preview it.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Start out with walking. If the heat bothers you, do your walking early in the morning or late in the evening.

You could also go swimming at your local pool when it's way to hot for any other exercise. This doesn't have to be expensive, especially if you only do it once in a while as replacement for walking.
    If you live in the countryside you could even go swimming for free in lakes and rivers (do check if it's safe, with blue algae etc.). It's what I used to do before moving to London.
  • Dazellyn
    Dazellyn Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Another advocate for Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the pounds here
  • yspen42
    yspen42 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Walking is the best for you right now. Start walking a few minutes and then build your way up...YOU CAN DO IT!

Continue to read the success stories on this website because they are so inspiring and encouraging.

And mostly importantly...drink lots of WATER
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I agree, walk, even if you can only go up and down the hallway right now. Stretching is another good thing you can do, you can get lots of free videos on YouTube. You can also do simple chair sits/stands, knee raises, squats and lunges. If you want to be really creative weigh a couple of cans of food and use them to do curls and work your triceps, shoulders and chest. I think a roll of pennies weighs 1 lb. but you would have to double check that. Does your apartment complex have a pool? If so, you can try water walking to take some of the pressure off your legs and add resistance at the same time. Don't worry about other people if that's an issue. You may want to look into C25K and do it walking instead of running to get started and rest during the walk breaks. This program will get you walking 30 minutes in 9 weeks.

Also, some gyms are only $10/month and don't require a contract. Planet Fitness is one of those but there is a start-up fee. Maybe that's something you would want to save for??

The most important thing is you are moving. Feel free to add me if you want. Good luck, I wish you the best!
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a computer You Tube has Leslie Sanson's Walk Away the Pounds videos for free. I started there at 260.8. Just stick with it...you'll get there!

Excellent idea!
  • BlessedBe23
    BlessedBe23 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Before I had gastric bypass surgery in 2004, I weighed about 500 lbs. I was able to do Leslie Sansone's DVDs so I definitely recommend them like many others here. Also fun are the Zumba Wii game and it can really kick your butt! Start off small....don't overwhelm yourself with impossible goals in the beginning. If you fail and get discouraged, it'll add to the never ending cycle of disappointment=eating=more weight gain=disappointment. It's a horrible roller coaster to be on!
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    As well as the walking, I want to back up the dancing idea. I can't dance for the life of me, but I love to give it a go lol. Close the curtains, put some funky tunes on and wiggle and dance your way around the house! Great fun, burns some calories and makes you laugh :)
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options
    I'm obviously kind of biased here, but belly dance is low impact and there are tons of videos to get you started on YouTube. It burns calories, and doesn't feel like work.
  • klozano47
    klozano47 Posts: 3
    Options
    I started in April at 375 pounds.....I started with mfp in the beginning and didn't worry about exercise, because I know how hard it is to even walk to the store....getting sore will only discourage you. Focus on small things that will lead you in the right direction....park a little further away from your store, choosing a replacement for your favorite snack, and build on these small "victories" to gain momentum. I agree with the others that walking is the best way to go, and don't push yourself too hard. Focus on a foot more than the day before, or one minute more than the day before...small "victories" - and don't beat yourself up if you can't do it right away. I am now at 318 just a couple of months later...working out on Wii fit (I was so excited when I met my goal for that!), walking, and feel so much better about myself and what energy I have. I know I might be late with my goal for 300 by the time I go back to school, but every pound (or fraction of a pound!) points me in the right direction and I am proud of myself. You can do it too!

41184717.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I had a cross-country skiing machine (Nordictrack, was the brand, I think). It was nice because it was no impact, and combined an upper and lower body workout. You can find them used, I think. Good for you for thinking of other options!
  • britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    get some little ankle and wrist weights at walmart or some light dumb bells and just turn on some music and dance around or do side steps maybe some lunges, I would think just getting your heart rate up a bit and doing a little more each day would really help

I've always heard these weights put undue strain on joints. OP will burn plenty of calories just walking and moving around to get started. Way to go, OP!!