I have never eaten fruits or vegetables

Options
jaxburt
jaxburt Posts: 16 Member
Hello, I'm struggling with the nutrition part of this. I've never eaten fruits or vegetables. It's a texture thing. I love the smell of oranges or onions, they make me squirm if I put them in my mouth. They pop and have strings and stuff in them. Like I said, it's a texture thing. HELP!

Replies

• angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without eating them. But it's true, some of the nutrients you can only get from the actual food. Maybe try a vegetable powder blended in a smoothie or something?
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Smoothies are a good way to sneak in fruits and veggies if you like the taste but not the texture. Also, shredding zucchini (or putting it through a food processor) and adding it to eggs in an omelet or scramble. What if the veggies are diced super-tiny (you can get a cheap mandolin slicer for that) and adding them into a stir-fry? That way they're too tiny to give you any popping/stringy issues but you still get the flavor and nutrients.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried the green powders or the veggie powders- go to walmart and check them out. Many stores like gnc have products like this also- but walmart is way cheaper. I buy the country farms plant based protein powders in vanilla or chocolate- VERY good- and you have your nutrients right in the smoothie or smoothie bowl etc.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    Smoothies are a good way to sneak in fruits and veggies if you like the taste but not the texture. Also, shredding zucchini (or putting it through a food processor) and adding it to eggs in an omelet or scramble. What if the veggies are diced super-tiny (you can get a cheap mandolin slicer for that) and adding them into a stir-fry? That way they're too tiny to give you any popping/stringy issues but you still get the flavor and nutrients.

I second this. Do you like pasta sauce? I have blended up tons of veggies and my picky BF doesn't even notice. You can blend cauliflower, squash carrots (my fave-they add sweetness). And there is no texture to speak of.

Also, some fruit isn't necessarily stringy. Have you tried berries? Cherries? Nectarines? Cucumber for veggies?

There are tons of flavors and textures when it comes to fruit and vegetables. I think it's worth it to keep trying (and hide it in the mean time!)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I love blending fruits and veggies. Do you like mashed potatoes? Sauteed and blended cauliflower and squash can stir into mashed potatoes. I make a protein fluff for lunch with spinach, frozen banana, frozen avocado and salted caramel protein powder for lunch. The texture is smooth and the flavor is mildly sweet.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Great ideas here. I wouldn't bother trying to fix your aversion. Get yourself a really good blender like a Ninja. Bananas help all blender creations taste great.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    debtay123 wrote: »
    Have you ever tried the green powders or the veggie powders- go to walmart and check them out. Many stores like gnc have products like this also- but walmart is way cheaper. I buy the country farms plant based protein powders in vanilla or chocolate- VERY good- and you have your nutrients right in the smoothie or smoothie bowl etc.

I tried them all and my favorite is PlantFusion Lean Vanilla. It filing and delicious (but expensive).
  • Sara2652
    Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Your description makes me believe this is more then simple dislike and is an actual phobia. Many people choose not to face their phobias, they don't need to and I don't think you need to but I think it could be very beneficial and therapeutic. Empowering even.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Apple sauce. Thick pureed soups.
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    What type of texture do you like and can tolerate?
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I have the same with chicken drumsticks. I don't eat meat anymore, but the veins and stuff in them was horrific to me, haha.

There are so many different vegetables and fruits and with that textures though. Maybe if you like one you can eventually warm up to others. I personally love the pop of a berry in my mouth after which the sweetness takes over. I bet there's some that work for you!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    This may sound insensitive, but maybe just get used to it ("suck it up") or see a therapist.

"Some" textures is one thing. You seem to be adverse to many (all?) of them.

I'm sure there are therapists to deal with these sort of issues around food. OP, I think you are missing out on so many food experiences by avoiding vegetables, I would suggest working on your issues. You'll open up your options massively, as well as improve your health and nutrition (I can't believe youve never eaten any - not even a chip?)
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    OP,

Is it cooked or raw textures that are the problem with vegetables?

With fruit what about bananas, apples, strawberries, or watermelon? They all have vastly different textures.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I have a problem getting in fruits and veg's in my diet. I take MTS machine greens which is a whole foods greens/multi vitamin powder. Made from whole foods and has multiple servings of both fruits and vegs. I take this daily mainly as a multi vitamin BUT it does make the lack of vegetation in my diet feel better.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I agree with seeing a Therapist. There are plenty who have experience with sensory issues, so they may help even if you don't have an official diagnosis.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Blend them up and put them in pasta sauces, or meat loaf, or soups. You must have eaten them as a kid?
  • jaxburt
    jaxburt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I posted this. One doesn't believe me and most others suggest therapy. I've been in therapy for 30 years. I feel so supported.