Don't Sacrifice Your Dog's Life To Get Your Cardio In This Summer

Options
Azdak
Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/10124416

Summer has hit full force in the Chicago area this week. Unfortunately, a regular part of summer is watching ignorant, selfish owners torture their dogs by forcing them to run in the heat.

Dogs are not able to regulate body heat as well as humans. Weather that you may find comfortable can be excruciating for your pet.

You can't count on your dog to tell you when it is in distress. Dogs want to be with their owners, they enjoy being outdoors. They will literally run themselves to death to please you. And even if the exercise is not lethal, it can be a cruel punishment.

One recommendation by vets is the "140 Rule". If the combination of heat and humidity is above 140, dogs should not be participating in extended vigorous activity. Personally, for a larger dog like a golden retriever, I think even that number is way too high for running. I would put it the limit more like 120.

Think of your pet. If you can't get out super early on a warm day, then maybe it's a day to leave your dog home while you go running.

Replies

• Boland_D
    Boland_D Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I saw a guy walking a Newfoundland in about 85 degree heat through Seattle. Everyone was in awe of how gorgeous the dog was (even stopping to take pictures) but no one seemed to notice how much it was panting.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    people also dont think about how hot the asphalt can be on their feet, they dont have shoes on and if they dont have tough pads built up, and even if they do, it can be painful and even result in burns.

Truth. I've seen lots of dogs get awful burns on their paw pads from the hot pavement.
    And I've seen too many dogs overheat just from sitting outside in the heat - they don't necessarily have to be exercising.
    Also if you have an outside dog, make sure it has adequate shelter because they can even sunburn if they're in direct sunlight too long (it looks way worse than human sunburns). But I never understood why people would get dogs just to leave them outside anyway.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of this, and luckily, its never too hot where I am to have my dog with me, however it does get hot enough that I sometimes question if my dog is comfortable, there are a few things you can do to protect your pets this summer.
    Dog booties for the hot pavement (if there is no choice but to walk on pavement)
    Cooling vests: expensive but seem to do the trick with my dog
    Do activities such as swimming or hiking where there is water the dog can cool down in. One of my favorite activities is swimming with my dog, I get twice the work out because half the time I wind up swimming while carrying her when she went out to deep :D
    And obviously keep them hydrated and dont over exert them, If we take our dog hiking on a warm day we bring plenty of water, and make sure to rest frequently in the shade, my dog is panting like all the time if its above 60 out even if shes not that hot, so we cant always gage it by that, but we do all of the above and have avoided burns, sunburn and over heating so far!

• tlriley70
    tlriley70 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I live in Alabama and my chocolate lab loves to walk/ jog with me. We go to a park where he can get on grass if he needs to. Also every mile we do there's a creek I let him swim in to cool off. But I'm wondering is that enough to keep him safe. Thoughts?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    tlriley70 wrote: »
    I live in Alabama and my chocolate lab loves to walk/ jog with me. We go to a park where he can get on grass if he needs to. Also every mile we do there's a creek I let him swim in to cool off. But I'm wondering is that enough to keep him safe. Thoughts?

Sounds like you are doing it right.