Macros

Options
Wasn't sure if I should throw this in food/nutrition or fitness/exercise because of the overlapping topics - but here we are.

I've been Keto for nearly two months and still find I'm confused and worried about my macros. I know everyone's different and that there are no perfect numbers but I find protein a struggle. More specifically, I'm always worried about getting too much (because of gluconeogenesis) but think I may, in reality, be getting too little.

I'm fairly active; run 3x a week, do body and free weight exercises at least 2, typically 3 x a week, play softball, cycle, hike, etc.
I've found since starting Keto, that my cardio and muscle performance have decreased and wasn't sure if it was lack of protein or simply an adjustment period.

I'm 5'4", 140 (down from 154 when I started Keto) and my macros are 20g (total) carbs, 120g fat and 50 (but I usually eat 60)g protein. I take magnesium and potassium supplements, get plenty of salt and drink ~96oz of water a day.

All suggestions are welcome as I'd like to fast track tweaking my macros and get my physical performance back on track

Replies

• chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Personally, i go by the 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 23% protein ratio. I haven't ever looked at what the grams end up being at the end of the day.... ( i really should), but i am also tracking calories as well, taking in 1200 a day. Sounds like they need to be balanced out more. That's just a guess, though.
  • kmdavis1105
    kmdavis1105 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Keto resources I have seen say 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs. I have also heard you should eat your goal weight in grams of protein, which would suggest you are eating too little. But also, I am in no way an expert and I believe my trainer is still trying to figure the program out himself.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I don't do keto, but I don't think 50 or 60g of protein is anywhere near enough to be too much. You might get more keto-knowledgable answers if you add "Keto" to the thread title or post this question in the LCHF Group.