Who's good at making stir fry??

Options
hesn92
hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
can anyone give some ideas for a good stir fry sauce? I pretty much only ever do one stir fry: soy sauce, brown sugar, a little chicken broth, garlic, ginger, crushed red pepper.

Looking for some ways to change it up a little. Thanks!

Replies

• kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Mine is usually 1tbsp of Tamari, Braggs Liquid Aminos, and Chinese 5 Spice. Then I top the food with Sriracha. We aren't a fan of sugar in anything and would prefer our food to spicy.

I feel the Chinese 5 Spice really adds something.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    We make one with Peanut butter, hot sauce, soy sauce red pepper flakes and sesami oil you use a very small amount of each ingrediant so there arent many calories either!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Mine is usually 1tbsp of Tamari, Braggs Liquid Aminos, and Chinese 5 Spice. Then I top the food with Sriracha. We aren't a fan of sugar in anything and would prefer our food to spicy.

I feel the Chinese 5 Spice really adds something.
    I'm the only one in the house who likes spicy food unfortunately! I don't even know what any of those ingredients are lol! Off to Google
  • DrizztGirl82
    DrizztGirl82 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    When I make a stir fry I usually add a large mix of sauces/spices. I don't have a specific recipe I follow. But I have put peanut butter in them before, and that tastes really good!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Try adding any of the following to your soy sauce etc..hoisin sauce, garlic black bean,sauce or oyster sauce or combo ant of them. And corn starch to thicken.

You also get a nice flavor boost from adding finely chopped ginger, garlic and green onion ti the pan about a minute before your vegetables are done. And add them to your sauce.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    We make one with Peanut butter, hot sauce, soy sauce red pepper flakes and sesami oil you use a very small amount of each ingrediant so there arent many calories either!

Peanut Sauce is a favorite in our house, too! Just made it last night!
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    As an Asian, this is what I do...it's simpler...and a little healthier ;) :

- brown onions and garlic in oil (often sesame)
    - season beef/chicken/tofu with salt and pepper, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, remove from pan keep warm
    - throw in veggies, saute until desired doneness, season with the same as above
    - mix everything back together

My mother's "rule-of-thumb" for both stir fry and fried rice was to be generous with the salt and pepper and garlic, taking care to not over salt between the table salt and soy sauce.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I just sautee onion garlic and ginger in peanut oil, then throw in my meats, then my veggies. My meats I just marinate in soy and egg white.

Simple but effective. Like crazyravr said, there's a ton of pre made sauces in the super market, which in moderation, are nutritionally fine for health and diet purposes.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Can copy what some restaurants do:
    - choose 1 protein: chicken, beef, fish, or tofu
    - choose 1 main veg: broccoli, string bean, eggplant, or cashew nut (and add onion etc).
    - choose 1 sauce: brown, garlic, ginger or black bean
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Try adding some fresh-squeezed citrus. Cinnamon also brings in an interesting flavor.

I also do a Cajun stir-fry where I season with Cajun spices and just use water and a little corn starch to deglaze the pan.
  • jazzy1lisa
    jazzy1lisa Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So I just bought a ready made bad of stir fry veggies from Walmart today and it actually comes with a sauce that's really tasty, was by the salad and guacamole section and it was only $3 then I just bought a small amount of fresh shrimps to add to it and it was delicious, wish we could add pictures on here I'd show u
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Go to an Asian market and get some Thai curry pastes in the plastic, resealable containers. They keep in the fridge, opened, for ages. You can use them either to make the actual curry or just use a dollop as the seasoning in a stir fry with other basic stir-fry ingredients like soy sauce, tamari, nam pla, or the like.
  • lapesadilla
    lapesadilla Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i like to sautee meat and veggies in a few tablespoons of curry paste. you can usually find a red or green thai one at any grocery store or a wider variety of thai, indian, japanese etc at an asian market. you can finish with a little coconut milk or yogurt for a full on curry or just adjust the seasoning (i usually add a little sweetness anf some lime juice) to your liking before serving.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Try stir frying orange slices, adds a great flavor. Cut right through the orange, skin and all. You can probably leave out your brown sugar when you do this, as the orange juice has sugar in it. I sometimes add a little fennel or cinnamon.

Nuts and fresh herbs also add variety. I like walnuts with Chinese long beans.
  • nourhanehab7
    nourhanehab7 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I add garlic , fresh hot pepper , thyme
    simple & so delicious
  • 0911shunamite
    0911shunamite Posts: 150 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    wjllx3495eue.png
    Mongolian fire oil is my secret. It's a sesame oil mixture with a smokey chili flavor. Found at most AJ fancy food stores brand is house of tsang
    I challenge myself to use as much veg variety as possible bells and onions are my base and I build onto that with whatever was on sale- cabbage zucchini carrot bean sprouts jicima tofu etc anything