Anyone read or do the "Burn the fat, Feed the Muscle" plan?

A colleague of mine who's into working out recommended it to me, and it's a pretty interesting read. While he looks great and follows it, I was wondering if anyone on here has used it.

If you have, was it successful? And was it hard preparing 5 to 6 meals a day?

Replies

• Catsinsocks
    Catsinsocks Posts: 28 Member
    I read the book and I LOVED IT. I think there's some really good solid info in there to get people started. I didn't follow the meal timing or the fitness program, but I did follow the suggested calorie and macro suggestions, and that really helped me. I started eating much, much more lean protein and realized I feel much more satisfied at the same calorie level that way. It helped me lose 30lbs last yearbg924g21d5r4.jpg
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    It has long been heralded as a shining example of good diet books. I don't follow it per se but there is an amazing amount of solid and sane info in there. Particularly his writing on cardio imo. I hate cardio.... But he's right. I need it.
  • I_am_the_Cosmos
    I_am_the_Cosmos Posts: 69 Member
    Thanks guys. I'm going to try it out and I agree 100 percent on the cardio. I hate it as well, but it's pretty essential. I'm also someone who hates eating at work, so this is going to take some effort.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I read it back when I first started in 2014, and I don't like everything -- I think it went into body types in a way I think is not accurate and I'd forgotten about the meal plan stuff, since I ignore that -- but I found it really inspiring and on the whole I liked the approach. I was a cardio bunny whenever I was active before, so the weights stuff was especially good for me, and the concept of how body builders approach weight control/gaining/losing really helped me understand it was possible, in my control, in a way I found helpful.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Oh, I should add that I love fitness podcasts and there are some good ones (old episodes of Fitcast, for example) with Tom Venuto that I enjoyed. Worth searching for if you are a podcast person.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Personally I think there is a lot of crap in there but also a few tit bits of good information.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Personally I think there is a lot of crap in there but also a few tit bits of good information.
    This!

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

Cosigned
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,628 Member
    I did the plan for a while, not eating 6 meals a day, but I followed the exercise plan in the book. I liked it, but it just got to be too long for me to spend in the gym. I prefer to be in and out within an hour and some of the workouts were around 90 minutes (if you do warm up sets and recommended rest periods) which was ok on the weekends, but not during the week.

Agreed with the some good information and some to take with a grain of salt.
  • I_am_the_Cosmos
    I_am_the_Cosmos Posts: 69 Member
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to try more along the lines of 5 meals, and either way keep the caloric intake reasonable.

My co-worker who follow it religiously is in great shape, so I'll give it a try. I was always more of a one meal/two meal a day guy, and generally I don't like eating at work. But...that hasn't really helped me get in good enough shape, so I'm willing to give this a shot.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    My co-worker who follow it religiously is in great shape, so I'll give it a try. I was always more of a one meal/two meal a day guy, and generally I don't like eating at work. But...that hasn't really helped me get in good enough shape, so I'm willing to give this a shot.

Unfortunately there are many people with great genetics (and/or drugs) that have some extremely warped views on nutrition and health. Just because they have a good physique doesn't mean you should do what they do.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to try more along the lines of 5 meals, and either way keep the caloric intake reasonable.

Meal frequency is irrelevant to weight/fat loss. It can have an effect upon satiety/adherence and workout performance, but as far as weight/fat loss it all comes down to calories. I'd suspect that his results have a lot more to do with his workouts than they do with eating 5-6 meals a day. You may want to quiz him about his workout routine instead of his eating habits.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    I personally recommend "Thinner Leaner Stronger" (women) or "Bigger Leaner Stronger" (men) over "Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle", but it is better than many books out there that I have seen.

Correlation does not imply causation. Tom Venuto seems to "forget" that in BTFFTM occasionally.

Nothing is perfect. Mike Matthews pushes his supplement line a bit too hard, in my opinion.
    But he also puts a lot of info from his books on the web for free.

YMMV
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Personally, owning and having read both of them, I'd spend the money on Eric Helms' Muscle and Strength Pyramids rather than BFFM. It has two volumes, one devoted to nutrition and one devoted to training, and both of them are evidence-based and up to date with the most recent research.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Personally, owning and having read both of them, I'd spend the money on Eric Helms' Muscle and Strength Pyramids rather than BFFM. It has two volumes, one devoted to nutrition and one devoted to training, and both of them are evidence-based and up to date with the most recent research.
    Thanks for the tip. I haven't read those. I'll keep an eye out for them to go on sale.