Gluten Free, vegetarian and Hypothyroidism

Options
I have been reading a lot how people with hypothyroidism usually have gluten intolerance. I have gone vegetarian and am feeling great but not losing much weight still.I am now considering going gluten free to see if that might help with the weight and hypothyroidism symptoms I suffer from. I just need help with where to start.

Replies

• SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    You should talk to your endocrinologist
    I highly doubt going gluten free will fix hypothyroidism
  • AprilMae1975
    AprilMae1975 Posts: 726
    Options

I know it won't fix it....I am not looking for a fix, just a better quality of life.
  • SirBonerFart
    Options

I know it won't fix it....I am not looking for a fix, just a better quality of life.

Hypothyroid symptoms are caused by hypothyroidism
    If you are still having problems you should talk to him anyway maybe change meds or dosage
  • AprilMae1975
    AprilMae1975 Posts: 726
    Options

If you are still having problems you should talk to him anyway maybe change meds or dosage

Hypothyroidism can be very complicated. The ideal reference ranges in bloodwork doesn't always work for everyone. I've had the condition for 19 years and have been on all different dosages and types of thyroid meds and seen different doctors. I feel pretty good when I am at the lower end of the reference ranges but there are still some symptoms that don't go away completely.
    I am only going on some reading I have done and figure it can't hurt to try going gluten free.
  • SirBonerFart
    Options

Hypothyroidism can be very complicated. The ideal reference ranges in bloodwork doesn't always work for everyone. I've had the condition for 19 years and have been on all different dosages and types of thyroid meds and seen different doctors. I feel pretty good when I am at the lower end of the reference ranges but there are still some symptoms that don't go away completely.
    I am only going on some reading I have done and figure it can't hurt to try going gluten free.

You should try going gluten free and see if it clears up your problems, gluten can be very harmful I wish you the best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroidism affects everyone differently. That's why it's always a problem when you hear people say that since you're on medication you shouldn't have any problems anymore. That's just not true. Everyone is different and it's important to find out how hypothyroidism has changed your body. I've had such problems losing since being diagnosed with hypo a year ago. My levels are normal and all the symptoms are gone EXCEPT I still can't lose weight easily. I've been talking to my doctor and doing a lot of research on my own and you're not crazy for trying to go gluten free. People with hypo end up developing all sorts of weird sensitivities to different things - including soy, gluten, carbs, dairy, and a variety of fruits and vegetables that contain groitrogen. I'm currently playing with my food to see if and what I might have a sensitivity to and I am almost positive now that soy, gluten, and carbs are problematic for me. From the groitrogen family I am also seeing problems when I eat broccoli, but not the other fruits and veggies on the list.

I'm working on a high protein, high vegetable and fruits, low carb/low gluten diet right now and I feel great when I stick to it and my weight seems to inch down, but the day I eat a normal amount of carbs I feel terrible again.
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about hypothyroidism so I can't help you there. But I don't see an issue with trying an elimination diet to see if that helps you! I am vegetarian and because of digestive issues, I'm currently giving gluten free a shot - I may not stick to it 100% as it doesn't seem to be making much difference yet, but we'll see. If you want ideas on food though my diary is open or add me :)
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I agree, not all foods affect everyone the same. I was diagnosed with hypo 13 years ago, and have had the most success losing weight when I eat low carb, more protein. I don't have a problem with soy at all. I'd say try gluten free and see how you feel!
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    soya seems ok for me, broccoli not so much. And as for the gluten free, I will only do that when I have seen someone who can test me for it. I have been on meds since I was ten (I am 27)

I find spirillna and selenium supplementation really helps, as does PHD diet whey (it has gluten in it though)

a high protein, high veggie died really works. and I hear you SUPERGIRL6. Why does everyone think as soon as your on meds everything is all ok? it takes years, and I cant lose weight like a normal thyroid person, but with determination every day I finally have started getting there.
  • smerkord
    smerkord Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My partner is gluten free an by proxy I am mostly gluten free. I don't remember really "getting started". We just stopped buying foods with wheat, rye or barley in them.

If you google gluten-free recipes, you won't even feel like you go without much and even Wal-Mart has a small gluten free section for those items that usually contain gluten that you feel you may be missing.

It really isn't hard. It may seem a bit more expensive at first, but we found buying in bulk at the Natural Food Store helpful.
    Bob's Red Mill has products if you don't feel like experimenting with the different types of wheat free flours yourself.

Mostly, at first, it just took time. Time to read labels, time to prepare, time to get the foods we decided we liked in the house.

Also, there are a ton of articles on modern wheat and why it is different than the wheat our grandparents or great-gandparents had. One such article is here:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505269_162-57505149/modern-wheat-a-perfect-chronic-poison-doctor-says/
  • WalkingMermaid_
    WalkingMermaid_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My endo STRONGLY recommends that all his hypo/hashimoto's patients go gluten free. Four years after my thyroid went out of whack, I was diagnosed with celiac. Since going gluten free I have lost 20 lbs in 2 months and my thyroid level has improved dramatically

In all the years previous to being gluten free, I could not lose anything, not a pound.

I am also vegetarian and have been since a child.
  • mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    it's worth a try if you have problems with breads and grains. my hubs is gluten intolerant (there goes his beloved beer) and so we stopped buying bread and wheat/barley/soy products. it's not hard, and really if there's things you just can't give up as far as breads, they have GF versions of just about anything. some stuff is gluten free because it just is. fruits, veggies, rice, oats, etc. you don't have to spend tons of money to be GF. you do however, have to know what you're looking at. :) since going GF (by proxy- i'm not going to buy seperate groceries) i haven't really noticed any difference. so if gluten doesn't bother you and doesn't affect you, it's not worth going GF. but the only way to know is to try being GF for a couple of weeks and find out. if you feel a difference, keep going with it. if not, don't worry about it.