Please Help Me Understand :(

Options
124»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm not saying it's been easy staying at the calorie amount. First week was near death, but now it's not bad really, maybe it's just me. I keep busy and don't give much time to it anymore. As per the suggestions, I'll definitely read the forum stickies. And for measuring calories, I rely on packaging mainly as I assumed it would be correct. And to be blunt, but all my life I've tried dieting and exercising and different methods and I'm so fed up nothing works, so I've resorted to this. I've always trended positive in weight gain, I just need a change for once.
    You guys are probably gonna pick me to pieces but I'm going off of physical change and how clothes fit. I figured since I am bigger, the changes should be more pronounced and obvious. I don't currently have a scale, I just moved in to my newborn apartment.

Nothing 'works' because you're not using the right tools to make it work or measure progress. Get a digital bathroom scale and a digital food scale. This should set you back less than $50 at Walmart.

Net at least 1500 calories. I lose weight on this and I am female, perimenopausal, 3" shorter, and more than 100 pounds lighter.

I have a digital food scale and am extremely confident in my food logging.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @yankeesfan299 I also was way fat back in the day. I also had hours of virtuous self denial. I didn't become lean back then because I also had plenty big meals often enough to stay very obese.

When you can honestly and accurately log your food in your food diary, you can see what you are eating. When you can honestly and accurately log your weight, you can see how your weight is trending over time.

A digital scale is a very important tool to achieve accuracy. Honesty is the best tool of all. Use it.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    OP, here are a few more things to think about:

1. As you get smaller, you'll need to drop your calorie intake to continue to lose weight, because smaller bodies need fewer calories to run. If you start out by eating almost nothing, what are you going to do when you've lost the first 50 or 100 pounds? You can't live on air and water alone.
    2. Losing weight is going to take longer than you think it will. It does for almost everyone. Can you imagine sustaining your current intake through Christmas? What about next Christmas? If the answer is no, what's the plan for your next step?

The goal shouldn't be to drop your calories to the floor and white-knuckle through 12-18 months of weight loss. It should be to eat as much as possible while still losing weight, so that you don't negatively impact your health or lifestyle.
  • highwood125
    highwood125 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    OP, here are a few more things to think about:

2. Losing weight is going to take longer than you think it will. It does for almost everyone. Can you imagine sustaining your current intake through Christmas? What about next Christmas? If the answer is no, what's the plan for your next step?

Absolutely. The first step for people is to realize that it is a slow process, once you get that into your head then proceed. Plus who wants to spend the next year or two or whatever denying themselves, that will NOT work. I would rather lose weight slowly and keep it off permanently but still enjoy food and the foods I like.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    You guys are probably gonna pick me to pieces but I'm going off of physical change and how clothes fit. I figured since I am bigger, the changes should be more pronounced and obvious. I don't currently have a scale, I just moved in to my newborn apartment.

Do you take regular progress photos? I could never see the difference in myself, but then could in photos (I take one monthly). For the first 100lb or so the it would take 15lb or more for there to be a big change then as I got closer to my goal just a couple of pound loss is more noticeable.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    If you had had weight loss surgery, you would be eating a similar amount of calories, so I don't believe that the amount of calories will cause you to hurt yourself. BUT, you would also be required to have a fair amount of protein, which you may not be getting with the small amount of chicken you're eating. Additionally, you'd be told to take a multi vitamin, calcium, B12, and vitamin D. If you plan on continuing this way (and I get it... I'm an all or nothing kind of person. I either over eat, or restrict), I would definitely throw in 2 protein shakes a day. You have PLENTY of room for the calories and the protein will help a number of physical things from happening.

You mentioned not seeing results - Are you actually weighing yourself or just looking for your clothes to fit better? It can take a while before your clothes feel different, depending on where you lose it first.

If he had weight loss surgery he would be under a doctor's care. Eating so few calories without medical supervision is not safe or healthy.

what kind of medical care do you think post weight loss surgery patients get? Yes, he'd be under medical care and probably see a doctor 1 week, 1 month and maybe 3 or 6 months after surgery to check his incisions and get weighed and make sure he feels ok. None of that changes the amount he's eating. What WOULD be different, and I said this, is that he would be told about vitamins to take and protein intake, which he isn't doing now (plus water, which I forgot to mention). The amount of calories though - that may not even come up under a doctor's care post weight loss surgery.

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    If you had had weight loss surgery, you would be eating a similar amount of calories, so I don't believe that the amount of calories will cause you to hurt yourself. BUT, you would also be required to have a fair amount of protein, which you may not be getting with the small amount of chicken you're eating. Additionally, you'd be told to take a multi vitamin, calcium, B12, and vitamin D. If you plan on continuing this way (and I get it... I'm an all or nothing kind of person. I either over eat, or restrict), I would definitely throw in 2 protein shakes a day. You have PLENTY of room for the calories and the protein will help a number of physical things from happening.

You mentioned not seeing results - Are you actually weighing yourself or just looking for your clothes to fit better? It can take a while before your clothes feel different, depending on where you lose it first.

If he had weight loss surgery he would be under a doctor's care. Eating so few calories without medical supervision is not safe or healthy.

what kind of medical care do you think post weight loss surgery patients get? Yes, he'd be under medical care and probably see a doctor 1 week, 1 month and maybe 3 or 6 months after surgery to check his incisions and get weighed and make sure he feels ok. None of that changes the amount he's eating. What WOULD be different, and I said this, is that he would be told about vitamins to take and protein intake, which he isn't doing now (plus water, which I forgot to mention). The amount of calories though - that may not even come up under a doctor's care post weight loss surgery.

Everyone I know who had WLS has had a intensive follow-up care - meetings with nurse, dieticians, doctors, etc. for months afterwards to make sure they are getting proper nutrition along with simply healing from the actual surgery.

Recommending that people eat a VLCD without having some sort of medical supervision is really bad advice.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group and good luck with your weight loss. I saw your original post and one follow up where you said you eat 800-1100 calories a day. My first thought when I read your post is you don't have to give up certain types of foods to lose weight and I think that is the way most people fall off wagon. The real and only secret to losing weight is to eat less than you burn.. keep yourself in a calorie deficit. The only real way to know what you are eating is to weigh everything and log it. Your body at 300+ pounds needs much more than 800-1100 calories a day. Find an online calculator that helps you figure out what your daily calorie burn is.. Get yourself in a deficit from that. Understand that 3500 calories is about a pound. I wouldn't try to lose more than about 2 pounds a week or about 7000 calories less per week than your body needs. You can play with it over time to nail down what you really need. The calculator is only a good starting point. Again I wouldn't shy away from carbs or any food. While I won't say go eat all processed foods, you can lose weight doing that. You just won't get the nutrients you need. Best of luck and stick with it!!!
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know who had WLS has had a intensive follow-up care - meetings with nurse, dieticians, doctors, etc. for months afterwards to make sure they are getting proper nutrition along with simply healing from the actual surgery.

Recommending that people eat a VLCD without having some sort of medical supervision is really bad advice.

I didn't recommend it. Nobody did. The "follow up" care that you're referring to usually happens before surgery. Nobody I know who has had WLS has had a meeting with a dietician afterwards. And honestly, your definition of "intensive follow-up care" is not really "intensive" at all. In fact, I know a few people who went to Mexico for their surgery (it's a popular option for those without insurance), in which case, follow up care is up to them with their own doctor and not a requirement.

My point is that while it may not be the best option for the OP and he should absolutely get clearance from a doctor and be more educated about protein, vitamins, and water, the truth is that he's eating very close to how post surgical patients eat, whether they are monitored by a doctor or not.
  • BPCycler
    BPCycler Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I'm having a little trouble. For the last 3 weeks, I've made drastic changes to my diet with the hopes of losing weight. I started off at 330 lbs and 5'9" (male). I haven't eaten any carbs, processed foods, added sugars in food or drink, have kicked cravings, and mostly eat protein, fruits, and veggies. Unfortunately...I'm yet to notice any change and it's really frustrating. I feel good, but I can't see any results and it just makes me so hopeless and wanting to give up. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to keep going or what to change?

You say you aren't SEEING a difference. Do you mean physically, or on the scale?
  • BPCycler
    BPCycler Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yea, I really only eat roughly 800-1100 calories on a day since then. Usually its a banana for breakfast, 4oz chicken breast and veg for lunch, and if I eat dinner it's a little more chicken. I guess I don't have that much of an excessive appetite anymore so that's good.

You don't have to cut that much. Just as long as you're burning more than you consume. If consuming 2200 calories, try to burn at least 500 more.