What's nutritional value of kidney beans, canned, rinsed and drained?

Options
7sorok
7sorok Posts: 112 Member
Canned red kidney beans, organic from Trader Joe's have 110 cal per 125 grams. After rinsing and draining, how do I figure the nutritional values of same 125 grams?

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    The brand I use have 105cal per 100gr drained.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    7sorok wrote: »
    Canned red kidney beans, organic from Trader Joe's have 110 cal per 125 grams. After rinsing and draining, how do I figure the nutritional values of same 125 grams?

The caloric content on labels usually reflects only the edible portion. Therefore, 125 grams of the drained beans should be the 110 calories the nutrition label states.
  • RoteBook
    RoteBook Posts: 171 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    7sorok wrote: »

The caloric content on labels usually reflects only the edible portion. Therefore, 125 grams of the drained beans should be the 110 calories the nutrition label states.

Annoyingly, the nutritional label on beans seems to include the weight of the liquid in the serving size. So unless you weigh with the liquid and then rinse, the nutritional label isn't helpful. IOW, a can with 439 grams net weight and 3.5 servings lists the serving size as 125 grams, but the whole can only contains ~200 grams of drained beans.

OP, I don't have a specific answer for you, but I rinse, then weigh the whole can worth of beans, then divide into servings. (But that may only work for me because beans mostly contain 3.5 servings and I'm currently feeding 3.5 people-2 adults, 1 big kid who gets a whole serving, and 1 little kid who gets half a serving.)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    The USDA nutrient database has an entry for drained canned red kidney beans. The amount of sodium in individual brands may vary, but everything else should be pretty much the same for what is essentially a whole food.

Beans, kidney, red, mature seeds, canned, drained solids
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    The USDA nutrient database has an entry for drained canned red kidney beans. The amount of sodium in individual brands may vary, but everything else should be pretty much the same for what is essentially a whole food.

Beans, kidney, red, mature seeds, canned, drained solids

This is what I do. Of all the crazy serving size stuff I've learned, I think only microwave popcorn is more frustrating than canned beans. The serving size will be like 1/2 of a cup or 150g with 3.5 servings in the can. The half cup makes sense But when I dump 150g of drained beans onto the scale there is only a handful of beans left stuck in the can. So usda it is!
  • 7sorok
    7sorok Posts: 112 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Annoyingly, the nutritional label on beans seems to include the weight of the liquid in the serving size. So unless you weigh with the liquid and then rinse, the nutritional label isn't helpful. IOW, a can with 439 grams net weight and 3.5 servings lists the serving size as 125 grams, but the whole can only contains ~200 grams of drained beans.

OP, I don't have a specific answer for you, but I rinse, then weigh the whole can worth of beans, then divide into servings. (But that may only work for me because beans mostly contain 3.5 servings and I'm currently feeding 3.5 people-2 adults, 1 big kid who gets a whole serving, and 1 little kid who gets half a serving.)

That's the way I do it too. USDA is no help because they have multiple entries for same food and no easy explanations on the difference between them