I'll eventually get used to this right?

Options
I have done myfitnesspal a few times but this time its really kicking in and I feel so serious about doing this. I am moving slowly but still staying mostly within my calorie range and being very mindful about what I am eating. I am writing it all down, tracking, and weighing myself. So far I have been doing well. Today two weeks in I am feeling SO hungry and cranky. I still stayed within my calorie range but all day I just keep wanting to eat and I have resisted the urge. I am so used to overeating. Eating normally and within healthy portions is new and difficult. I feel cranky and irritable. I find myself craving sugar a lot today. I am still eating sweeter foods at times within my calorie range but I wonder if what I am eating today is triggering this hungry cranky spell. I realize no one in here will have the answer to that but I just wanted to vent. I want to SO badly be healthy and normal and eat reasonably. Today is just a hard day.

Replies

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's close to that time of the month?

I like to take a maintenance day every once and a while, as long as it doesn't throw you off.
  • weightforme8134
    weightforme8134 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Im actually right at the middle of my cycle I am already anticipating a tough week pre period. Thanks for the tip. I see people suggesting that frequently how do you figure out your maintenance calories?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    So...ovulation? :) That's actually my most hungry phase of my cycle.

Are you getting enough fat?
  • weightforme8134
    Options
    Yes ovulation my cycles are very regular and I am betting that is what is going on but I had no idea this was a thing! Yes if anything Im going over on fat unfortunately. Still working this all out its tough I can't wait until its automatic or a bit easier.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Yes ovulation my cycles are very regular and I am betting that is what is going on but I had no idea this was a thing! Yes if anything Im going over on fat unfortunately. Still working this all out its tough I can't wait until its automatic or a bit easier.

I learned a lot about my body through diet and exercise. And yes, that is definitely a thing. Have a pint of Halo Top ice cream. It's only 240 calories for the whole thing :) I'm eating an entire tub of Fage greek yogurt with sweetener and cocoa powder. I need something sweet every night.
  • weightforme8134
    Options
    Weird question but do you also retain a bit more water during ovulation as well? I feel like I ate SO well last week but my loss was less than expected.
  • Graciegraves1989
    Graciegraves1989 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm only 2 days in and feeling so so hungry. I know i have had enough to eat so I'm trying to drink more water and have some veggies. I feel your pain girl!! You can do it!
  • weightforme8134
    Options
    Its SO hard isn't it? Ugh I love food so much haha
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The fastest way for food to get used by the body, and I mean in seconds, is for that food to be in the form of simple sugars. The other ways are slower, protein, fat, and even starches, which are complex carbohydrates, take longer to provide energy to the body. If you use that knowledge to make food choices, you can have a small pile of slow-to-digest food in your belly providing satiety and enough energy to keep your brain and body running happily for a couple of hours after a meal. If instead you chose to eat something sugary, there's no satiety, a spike in blood sugar, an insulin response, fat formation, and an early return of hunger.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    How big of a deficit do you have?

Even though I started out with a good bit to lose I set MFP up to lose only a pound a week because I knew I couldn't deal with eating less. Working out is also good for giving you more calories to eat.

I'll be honest though ovaluation always makes me hungry. During my actual period and the week before it I'm fine, but during ovaluation? I could eat myself through a pile of food. I deal by having more snacks. I find eating more frequently helps and I try to drink more water and sometimes yeah I'm hungry but it passes.
  • Numericmama373
    Numericmama373 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My ovulation effects me the same way.

I am making sure to keep track on my calendar. It helps me to identify what is going on.

What about a little bit of dark chocolate. I had two squares yesterday and it was reasonable calorie wise.

https://www.vitacost.com/Images/Products/500/Theo-Chocolate/Theo-Chocolate-Organic-70-Dark-Chocolate-Bar-Sea-Salt-874492003258.jpg
  • Numericmama373
    Numericmama373 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    sseai3cv6183.jpg
  • weightforme8134
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I am set to lose a pound of week. I appreciate all of the input and suggestions. Today feels easier so far but I will def look into slower to digest foods to help.
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I would stay away from ADDED sugars. Five weeks ago, I decided to kick ADDED sugar to the curb and focus on maintaining a pretty balanced diet. I have felt so much better. I am not avoiding naturally occurring sugars, those found in fresh fruit and dairy products but ADDED sugar. Doing this the cravings have gone away because sugar is addictive. Also, if we are feeding our body empty calories, it still needs nutrients so we crave. Now that I am following a balanced diet and avoiding added sugar, when I feel hungry, and that hunger doesn't go away, I believe my body is telling me it needs food. It is real hunger vs. me just wanting to eat something because it is there or I can. When I am really hungry, I find a healthful thing to eat....even if that sends me a few calories over my MFP goal. Keep in mind, that goal and info we enter in when we log our food and activity are estimates. Our best guesses at what our daily goal should be and what we are actually burning and consumer. Our bodies KNOW for sure.

WE SHOULD NOT BE LIVING HUNGRY DAY IN AND DAY OUT! THAT IS NOT HEALTHY, ENJOYABLE OR SUSTAINABLE.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    YES, I do retain water at ovulation - just as much as with my TOM.
  • schtump
    schtump Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Menstrual cycle aside, finding a food that is low in calories, but offers bulk is important because it helps fight the hungry. Obviously I don't have a cycle, but I am super fat, so I know the hunger bug is strong. I try to stay high fiber, low carb (for other health reasons) but find I'm eating well below my calories and rarely feel hungry. Good luck finding something to scratch the itch.
  • infinitynevermore
    infinitynevermore Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Weird question but do you also retain a bit more water during ovulation as well? I feel like I ate SO well last week but my loss was less than expected.

Your body will retain ALL the water during ovulation, so don't sweat it. It usually drops off around TOM to a week after.