Anyone Had Lyme? Stiffness and Exercise

Options
beaglady
beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
Several years ago, I had Lyme disease, resulting in my feeling stiff and becoming pretty inactive. I was treated with antibiotics and have felt much better.

I've lost about 40 pounds in the past year and have been exercising regularly for several months. I've noticed that I move slower than I did before Lyme, and that I'm less flexible than I used to be.

Has anyone else had Lyme and experienced this? I'm certainly moving better than I did 40 pounds ago, but I'm slow enough that I'm always doing the wrong moves in Zumba class. It's frustrating.

Replies

• raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I never had Lyme but I do all the wrong moves in Zumba. May be the stiffness is because of being inactive. Do more streghts in Morning and at night!
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Can you get physical therapy? Can't Lyme effect you years later? (I can be wrong here). It may be worth looking into.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I think stiffness is common with Lyme, unfortunately.
    It could be possible that even though you've treated it you're not completely recovered. Or that it's just a permanent side affect. :/
    I attempted treatment last year and my body didn't respond. My doctor said it can kind of hibernate, seem like it's gone but still be in your body.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    I think stiffness is common with Lyme, unfortunately.
    It could be possible that even though you've treated it you're not completely recovered. Or that it's just a permanent side affect. :/
    I attempted treatment last year and my body didn't respond. My doctor said it can kind of hibernate, seem like it's gone but still be in your body.

That's kind of what I'm trying to figure out. The stiffness might be Lyme, but it might also be part of the territory of being 58, and more active than I had been for many years.

I was lucky to find a Dr who was willing to put me on long term antibiotics, plus occasional doses of a different one to disrupt the hibernating bacteria. It's been 5 years, and for the most part I've felt so much better. Not to say I haven't gotten bitten again. I live in the country in PA, where ticks and Lyme are rampant.
  • coropez01
    coropez01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had Lyme -chronic- and dealt with it for 2 years. I have the same symptoms you describe, but I also sit a lot due to my job. I am starting MyFitnessPal to see if I can improve. I've gained weight and I feel horrible. Job stress doesn't help. I love Zumba but have no rhythm..! Lol