How often should I exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Health and strength are not the same. For good health, you need to do some aerobic activity as well. The current recommended minimum is 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week. Go for walks, ride a bike, go swimming - there are a lot of things you can do to increase your aerobic fitness.

Who recommends this "current" minimum for cardio? I haven't seen this before. Not that it would be bad but it really depends. After a heavy strength training day, 45 minutes may be too much.

Yeah, I think the current medical advice is "at least 30 minutes of cardio per day, but more than an hour is unnecessary" based purely on health rather than fitness.

But a lot of strength training can give you a cardio workout at the same time. No one ever said the 30 minutes has to be intense or even high.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Shoot for being sore. If you aren't sore the day after a strength training workout, you should probably go back
  • ginalove1960
    ginalove1960 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This is just me, but I practice yoga and I like to do it for short, half hour periods every single day. I have serious troubles with motivation. More so than your average person. But, if I can get into the habit of doing something everyday and at the same time everyday, I can overcome my apathy.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure what the answer would be 'for losing weight'. but for getting progressively stronger, i'm accustomed to a 3x-a-week pattern. however, that's in the context of doing a specific programme (sl 5x5 or 3x5 or wendler 5/3/1) and with the specific focus on making progress with strength.

the basic idea is that you lift, then you rest. then you lift, then you rest. and so forth. so it comes out to 3x a week. and the weight-loss part is something that i manage in a 'separate' part of my mind, personally. i don't really count the lifting as being a part of it.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Shoot for being sore. If you aren't sore the day after a strength training workout, you should probably go back

eh, ime that gets old. when i'm not used to it, soreness makes sense. but after a certain 'seasoning' period, i actually feel like something is wrong if every workout is still making me sore.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Wrong.
    Getting sore isn't the goal of a workout. It's not even a sign of an effective workout.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Wrong.
    Getting sore isn't the goal of a workout. It's not even a sign of an effective workout.

Cosigned.