Running and toenails - help!

Options
2»

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    The more likely case, as I'm sure you have figured out is that you bashed/banged/mashed it during your obstacle race.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    amehh91 wrote: »
    Update: saw the GP who said that while swollen I could have had it drained but it's too late now and I have essentially a scab under my toenail which will take a while to grow out and it's still painful at times because of the pressure. He has recommended not booking more runs and races until it's healed and easing off on longer runs HOWEVER I've just started getting in my stride adding distance and feeling really motivated. I'm happy to have only 1 long run a week but I want to continue adding distance as I was hoping to sign up for a half. He said to pad the toe - does anyone have tips on how to do that? It's my middle toe so a bit awkward, Is it just extra cushioned socks? Any help appreciated!

You can try wearing toe-socks or slightly thicker socks. I would take another look at your shoes. It is not typical to get black nails during long runs. I know it happens from time to time for some people. However, it is often due to the shoe being too big allowing the foot too much room to slide around. Conversely, the shoe can feel like a nice snug fit, and be too small causing the toes to be subjected to constant surface tension and rubbing. How one laces his or her running shoes can also play a role in such things.

Are your shoes big enough to allow for swelling during long runs?

My trainers are a 1/2 size bigger than my every day shoe, probably about a finger width of room at the toe. I have had these trainers for a couple of years now with no issues but they've run probably coming up to 300 miles, not including doing other workouts such as home dvd's so maybe it's time for some new shoes?

If you have to wonder about whether it's time to replace shoes, replace them. Replacing shoes too early is cheaper than visits to the podiatrist and physical therapist to fix problems so you can get back to running.
  • amehh91
    amehh91 Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll be investing in some new shoes next month then - good thing I have a birthday coming up ;)
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Update: saw the GP who said that while swollen I could have had it drained but it's too late now and I have essentially a scab under my toenail which will take a while to grow out and it's still painful at times because of the pressure. He has recommended not booking more runs and races until it's healed and easing off on longer runs HOWEVER I've just started getting in my stride adding distance and feeling really motivated. I'm happy to have only 1 long run a week but I want to continue adding distance as I was hoping to sign up for a half. He said to pad the toe - does anyone have tips on how to do that? It's my middle toe so a bit awkward, Is it just extra cushioned socks? Any help appreciated!

You can try wearing toe-socks or slightly thicker socks. I would take another look at your shoes. It is not typical to get black nails during long runs. I know it happens from time to time for some people. However, it is often due to the shoe being too big allowing the foot too much room to slide around. Conversely, the shoe can feel like a nice snug fit, and be too small causing the toes to be subjected to constant surface tension and rubbing. How one laces his or her running shoes can also play a role in such things.

Are your shoes big enough to allow for swelling during long runs?

My trainers are a 1/2 size bigger than my every day shoe, probably about a finger width of room at the toe. I have had these trainers for a couple of years now with no issues but they've run probably coming up to 300 miles, not including doing other workouts such as home dvd's so maybe it's time for some new shoes?

Definitely time for some new shoes. I also suggest getting more than one pair of running shoes and rotate them regularly. Your feet will thank you. And when looking for new shoes, check out last years models first, as you should be able to get them at a good price. Keep an eye on runninwearhousedotcom as they have regular sales.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I can train for hundreds of miles and not trouble a toenail, and then blacken a couple during a race. (Even in the same shoes). There's something about the added intensity.

The nail will come off eventually, but it will stop hurting pretty quickly. If you drain it right away, it might not turn black. You'll still lose the nail.

You're a legit runner, now!