Protein supplements - advice req

Options
2»

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    farrell16 wrote: »
    so you are planning on taking in 40-50g of protein a day in supplements? I'm sorry that just sounds absurd - why are people afraid of real foods for protein

Lol what precisely do you think protein shakes are made of. They are food... whey for example is just like the nursery rhyme.. little miss muffet sat on her tuffet eating her curds and whey! Whey is as much food as cheese is. whey is the material that is too low in fat to solidify when they make cheese. By all mean eat as much protein as u can in chicken and fish but for some its not feasible to eat that much protein on a busy day si by all means gi for it. I personally like whey isolate ad it is the lowest in fat and natrual sugars (lactose)

It's the stuff that doesn't coagulate when acid or enzymes is added... The proteins in whey denature more with heat.
  • Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Isolate protein...it's called Whey 2 Grow.
  • edlanglais
    edlanglais Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm on optimum nutrition gold standard and love it.
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    so you are planning on taking in 40-50g of protein a day in supplements? I'm sorry that just sounds absurd - why are people afraid of real foods for protein

Sometimes I take 2 scoops of whey in one day = 40 - 50g. To me its about taste and efficiency. But I still love meat of course. But real meat is expensive and time consuming. I slam a shake back in 3 secs then I'm back doing something else besides cooking and cleaning lol I'm a guy!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Food is just easier than powders - you mentioned chalk-like taste - can you eat/do you like milk, cheese, yogurt? What about seafood that isn't fish? Eggs? Are you eating plenty of grains (especially wheat and oats) and nuts and seeds? I also think you may be worrying unnecessarily about your protein intake. 50 grams can well be enough for you, provided your diet as a whole is balanced. Trouble getting in certain nutrients can hint towards unbalance - your goal may be unrealistic. Sticking to your diet is instrumental, so it has to feel good and make you feel good. Eating food you like, that gives you energy, and is in line with your ethical stance, is good for body and soul, which is what good health is all about.
  • 0stephj0
    0stephj0 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also do gnc gold standard and love all the flavor options and how easy it is to drink with just straight water when I "need" to. I'm not a huge fan of the standard chocolate/vanilla/peanut butter flavors, so I love their banana cream and strawberry banana as my favorites.
  • RED_0N3
    RED_0N3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Because not everyone has the time to eat 6 cooked meals a day. If shes having a scoop or 2 of protein a day she isn't doing anything wrong.

@Hanlonx go with something like a ON Gold Standard or MTS Machine Whey (a whey blend or WPC)

Whey protein Isolate or Hydrolyzed whey is an overkill and not worth the money.

Flavours are all personal taste. I find Banana and Strawberry are harder flavours to mess up :)
    Vanilla's and chocolates can be hit and miss.
  • 5n00py
    5n00py Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with the idea of supplements as a food. As a vegan, I'm also getting a steady stream of advice from my omnivorous colleagues to get some meat and dairy into me and up my protein numbers. I believe I'm doing fine on my nuts, seeds, peas and beans.

Interesting to note that apart from the supplements which are whey-based, there are also split pea based protein powders! https://www.beyonddiet.com/articles/262/choosing-a-protein-powder-isabel-s-5-step-approval

Text below copied across from: https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/protein

The Australian Dietary Guidelines recommend particular serves per day from the lean meat and poultry, fish, eggs, tofu, nuts and seeds and legumes/beans food category, including:
    • men aged 19-50 years = 3 serves
    • men aged 51 years and over = 2 ½ serves
    • women aged 19-50 years = 2½ serves
    • women aged 51 years and over = 2 serves
    • pregnant women = 3 ½ serves
    • breastfeeding women = 2 ½ serves.

A standard serving size is one of:
    • 65 g cooked lean meats such as beef, lamb, veal, pork, goat or kangaroo (about 90-100 g raw)
    • 80 g cooked lean poultry such as chicken or turkey (100 g raw)
    • 100 g cooked fish fillet (about 115 g raw weight) or one small can of fish
    • 2 large eggs
    • 1 cup (150 g) cooked dried beans, lentils, chickpeas, split peas or canned beans (preferably with no added salt)
    • 170 g tofu
    • 30 g nuts, seeds, peanut or almond butter or tahini or other nut or seed paste (no added salt).

The daily recommendations for adults for foods from the milk, yoghurt, cheese and/or alternatives (mostly reduced fat) group are:
    • men aged 19-70 years = 2 ½ serves
    • menu aged 70 years and over = 3 ½ serves
    • women aged 19-50 years = 2 ½ serves
    • women aged 51 years and over = 4 serves.

A serve could include either:
    • 250 ml (1 cup) fresh, UHT long life, reconstituted powdered milk or buttermilk
    • 120 ml (1/2 cup) evaporated milk
    • 200 g (3/4 cup or 1 small carton) yoghurt
    • 40 g (2 slices) hard cheese such as cheddar
    • 120 g (1/2 cup) ricotta cheese.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

I guess it depends on total protein/caloric intake, but 40-50g of protein from powder doesn't sound absurd at all. I get protein from a variety of sources: chicken, fish, beef, turkey, eggs, yogurt, etc., and protein powder is an inexpensive and convenient way to help me hit my protein goal.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I'm an ON fan because I know they manufacture their own products. Can't say the same for the rest where a lot of fillers and lower quality protein can be used.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Hanlonx
    Hanlonx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!

Been using ON Gold Standard 100% Whey since Thursday and I love it! (Choc Peanut flavour), would recommend the flavor, not overpowering and zero chalky taste!! :)

I've been having (forcing myself) to try more fish, since Thurs I've been having tuna for lunch & sole etc. at dinner. Please note guys I do eat fake protein sources (for veggies out there try Linda McCartney's range), a shed load of beans/pulses and have been going over my protein by about 3/4g which is fine as my goal is 70/80! Finally found something that works!! :D

• bloodsy
    bloodsy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Nothing beats Myprotein 11lb bag with 30% or more off. If you are consuming upwards of 50g protein a day then buying the smaller ones will get pricey in the long run and buying in bulk will help you save a ton of money.

I am currently drinking Salted Caramel flavour which is really good, ofc with milk since water is bleh.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    bloodsy wrote: »
    Nothing beats Myprotein 11lb bag with 30% or more off. If you are consuming upwards of 50g protein a day then buying the smaller ones will get pricey in the long run and buying in bulk will help you save a ton of money.

I am currently drinking Salted Caramel flavour which is really good, ofc with milk since water is bleh.

I agree, you cant beat Myprotein.

OP, ON choc/peanut butter flavour was my favourite too, but $60 (Australia) for a 2lb tub was just too expensive for me. I can get a 5kg (11lb) bag of chocolate/peanut butter whey Isolate from Myprotein for around $120 when they have their sales, which is every week lol