Smart Scale or Ditigal Scale?

Options
Okay so I decided to go ahead and start weighing myself. What type of Scale do you have? What do you recommend?! Is it worth it?

Replies

• mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    A basic digital scale is perfectly fine. And you can get them cheap.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    if you have a fit bit. I would recommend Aria. Pricey but logs into your fit bit account automatically and can be pushed here to MFP. I also sync with iPhone health app which pushes to "Happy Scale" which is a weight trending app that i really really like.

all that to say, either way try a weight trending app in your tracking setup somewhere. good info, good predicting and historical info stored.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Healthometer Loseit scale, Bluetooth and only like 35 dollars on Amazon...
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    FYI if considering a smart scale, the UA one is notoriously inaccurate. I just use a digital scale and enter my weight in my apps manually. Got a cheap one off Amazon.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I use Withings scale, mainly because I love metrics and numbers, plus it was the only smart scale on the market when I got it (I use Garmin devices, so I would probably get their scale if I got a new one). Unless you are really into other metrics, I would recommend sticking with a digital scale. Smart scales are not really worth the price...but a nice toy to have. But if you do want a smart scale, I recommend getting the same brand as your fitness tracker (if you have one), since it's best to stay in the same ecosystem.
  • attorneyevans
    attorneyevans Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    May sound silly but we have a Nintendo wii machine with a 'board' thing to play games but if you have the Wii fit software/game which I think might come with it, there is a basic fitness program and it has a great scale. Essentially digital scale I assume but need to 'click' a few things before an actual reading. Anyway, it has worked great for me.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    daj150 wrote: »
    I use Withings scale, mainly because I love metrics and numbers, plus it was the only smart scale on the market when I got it (I use Garmin devices, so I would probably get their scale if I got a new one). Unless you are really into other metrics, I would recommend sticking with a digital scale. Smart scales are not really worth the price...but a nice toy to have. But if you do want a smart scale, I recommend getting the same brand as your fitness tracker (if you have one), since it's best to stay in the same ecosystem.

^^This, with the exception that the Garmin scale is pretty unreliable and I would not buy it. I found a Withings scale in a clearance bin, but it still is a pricey toy and definitely not needed. It is nice that I just step on it and all my apps are updated (MFP, Garmin, Trendweight) without having to type anything in, but not really worth the money. I ignore everything it tells me except the weight. The HR is always wrong compared to my tracker and the BF% yoyo's way too much to be reliable.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Try the mid range Ozeri brand scale on Amazon. It's under $50 and allows up to 7 profiles, recognizes it's "you" when you step on, gives BMI, and cycles through the last 3, 7, 15, 30 (etc) weigh-ins and shows the differences between. It also shows green when you've lost and red if you gained. Comes in White or Black with Microban technology. Just a digital scale, but it's all the info I need.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Scales that supposedly measure body fat are notoriously inaccurate.
  • ksw98
    ksw98 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just bought a digital scale and manually enter data into my app. But for smart scales I did come across this http://www.pimpmybathroom.net/bathroom-scales/smart-scales-compatible-with-myfitnesspal/

• ssbbg
    ssbbg Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I use a withings scale (now Nokia brand). I like that it automatically syncs with mfp and other places. It measures bodyfat too. Like many other health markers it is easy to get wildly different numbers if you change measurement conditions (time of day, hydration status, etc.). Same is true of weight too though. I find looking at the bodyfat trend useful. It might not be absolutely correct, but the trend likely is.

That said, the syncing and stuff aren't strictly necessary. I like numbers and I like digital toys, so the withings was worth it for me. I've had mine for almost 5 years and have no complaints about the hardware.

Nokia has changed the app and the website after they completed their aquisition of withings. I like the new software much less. Previously I could export all my mesurements in a format that I could open in Excel. I liked making my own graphs and doing my own trend predictions. As far as I can tell this feature is now gone. It still syncs with other apps like mfp but if I want it in my spreadsheet I have to type it in myself. This probably doesn't matter to most people, but I thought I'd put it out there in case it matters to you.