I'm struggling

Options
I've another 20lbs to go and I just don't feel like I'm getting anywhere the scales haven't moved so obviously I'm eating too much but it doesn't feel like it. But I've a new job and its around 8 hours on my feet 5 days a week so struggling to find the energy for the gym. Don't know what to do

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Eat lower calorie dense foods rather than eating less food.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Can you do the gym before work?

Try relooking at your foods as see if you can make some adjustments. Too often we become creatures of habit.

Same exercise routine? Try some new machines and kick up the intensity a bit.

Stay hydrated.
  • Jayj180894
    Jayj180894 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Sometimes but other days I'm up at half 4 and don't get home til half 4 then I feel little energy to do anything
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Have you adjusted your activity level to account for the new job? This will give you a bit of a boost to your base calorie allowance which may help with the energy levels. You don't need to do any exercise to lose weight (although it's obviously beneficial for health and fitness).

How long is it since the scale moved? and how long have you been eating in a deficit?
  • oglalagirl724
    oglalagirl724 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My scales didn't move for 3 weeks on an 18oo calorie diet. At 247# I should have lost at least 5#. This morning I stepped on the scale and was down 4# . It is frustrating. What type diet are you on? If you have no energy, have you considered a different type diet? Are your calories to low? Sometimes it helps to up your calories a bit. Try the Upday/Down day. Just don't go to the extreme.
    Be Blessed.
  • Jayj180894
    Options
    I have but still only gives me 1450 kcal I've been eating in a deficit for 6 months around about. Lost 2 stone and felt great but now I feel like I'm not losing anything
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Jayj180894 wrote: »
    Sometimes but other days I'm up at half 4 and don't get home til half 4 then I feel little energy to do anything

Are you still eating OMAD?

If so perhaps that is making you feel tired.
  • oglalagirl724
    oglalagirl724 Posts: 32 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I can't cancel this post
  • Ghostofachance
    Ghostofachance Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Opt for nutrient-packed, high volume foods when possible like green leafy vegetables; drinking lots of water will help keep you feel full as well. As for exercise, try to sneak it in throughout your day if you're often too tired for the gym. You can do squats, push-ups using a counter instead of the floor, or a quick walk to get some activity during your day. Don't get discouraged, you are close to your goal.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld said: Eat lower calorie dense foods rather than eating less food.

What are lower calorie dense foods?

Veggies. Big leafy ones.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I went through this when I started getting close to my goal. I stalled for 3.5 months. The first thing I did that helped was to eat at maintenance for a week. Then I went back to lower calories but set my loss for .5 a week. After that I began to lose but at a much slower rate than before. I am now averaging about .5 a week and I don't feel like I'm starving. When you get closer to goal the deficit is much smaller as your new lighter body requires less calories so you lose slower. I am so close now I can almost taste it. At one point I thought I would never lose any more weight. Don't give up. It will come off but it may take a little longer.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld said: Eat lower calorie dense foods rather than eating less food.

What are lower calorie dense foods?

Foods that have a lower amount of calories.

You can fill up on vegetables, salad by the bowl full, konjac noodles/rice, sugar free jelly, seafood sticks.

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I have but still only gives me 1450 kcal I've been eating in a deficit for 6 months around about. Lost 2 stone and felt great but now I feel like I'm not losing anything

It can sometimes be helpful to take a diet break (eating at maintenance for a couple of weeks then returning to a deficit) if you've been at it for a while, it's also good practice for transitioning to maintenance.

If it's only a couple of weeks since the scale moved, it may also just be water retention. Check out the Weight Loss is not linear thread
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Pickles! I forgot pickles B)
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Your intake log is private. Would you make it public so we can take a look and what you are consuming?
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I can tell you one thing, you have come here to post rather than giving up quietly and retreating back to old ways.

There is a reason for that, and that is because you are going to lose those last 20lbs :-)
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the gym...get it done in the kitchen and take any gym time you can get as upside. While I understand the gym can provide a huge mental boost on your weight-loss journey, diet is actually a much more effective means of losing weight.

Don't fret if you don't see results every day. If you stick to your guns, commit to a healthy lifestyle, and hold yourself accountable, they'll be there at the end. The most important thing you can do is to be realistic with your expectations and to be honest with yourself along the way.

Unless you're on a starvation diet, there are always places to find calorie cuts. Go back and check your food diaries for leaks or miscalculations (for example, never counting fruits and veggies can easily add 200-300 calories per day, as can not counting the cream you put in your coffee/tea). Recheck your calorie need calculations and make sure that you've factored in any weight that you've already lost if you calculated months ago.

If you're at a total loss, post up your stats and a couple of honest examples of your daily eating and the board can help to find where you might be going wrong diet-wise.
  • Jayj180894
    Options
    I'm not actually dieting I'm just calorie counting I do use a food scale and I'm actually really good at estimating cos I test myself before I weigh haha! I did try for the last week and a half to eat one meal a day have all my kcal and nutrition on a eve it went great for a few day but now I'm just feeling run down and my body started to hurt just from working so I'm going back to 3 meals a day. Which is pretty much the same usually 100g of porriadge with a banana sometimes I skip lunch but if I don't usually it's salad and on a night around 200-250 chicken with rice and a sauce and if I have calores left I will eat my fat free yogurt or some fruit or chocolate whatever takes my fancy but don't go over and if I do I will cut my calories down for the next day or two
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm not actually dieting I'm just calorie counting I do use a food scale and I'm actually really good at estimating cos I test myself before I weigh haha! I did try for the last week and a half to eat one meal a day have all my kcal and nutrition on a eve it went great for a few day but now I'm just feeling run down and my body started to hurt just from working so I'm going back to 3 meals a day. Which is pretty much the same usually 100g of porriadge with a banana sometimes I skip lunch but if I don't usually it's salad and on a night around 200-250 chicken with rice and a sauce and if I have calores left I will eat my fat free yogurt or some fruit or chocolate whatever takes my fancy but don't go over and if I do I will cut my calories down for the next day or two

To be honest, based on this it sounds like you're going too extreme to try and lose the weight too quickly. There's no way you can sustain that kind of program and chances are that you'll gain back any weight you do lose very quickly. Remember that at a healthy rate, losing 20 pounds will take anywhere from 3 to 6 months. Don't sweat the day to day scale movements (or lack thereof), stick to a healthy deficit program and the results will follow.

Just for perspective...20 pounds is 70,000 calories. Assuming that your maintenance calorie level is 2000 calories per day, it would still take 35 days of eating nothing at all to lose 20 pounds.
  • Jayj180894
    Options
    Should I maybe set it MFP to 1lbs a week then rather than 2? I've set it too active but would still like to be losing around 2lbs a week? Is that a bit of harsh goal when I've only got 20lbs left?