Anyone try the Mayo Clinic diet

Options
I'm thinking about doing it but it doesn't sound healthy. My boyfriend is doing it and he says he's already lost a few pounds.
Have you guys tried it?
What do you think?
Here's a link to it
http://www.heartnsoul.com/mayo_diet_2.htm

Replies

• vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It sounds absolutely miserable. He's losing weight because he's in a deficit. You can achieve a deficit eating anything you fancy. Plug in your stats and eat what mfp suggests. It'll be a much easier time...

Plus, why would you do diet that the namesake doesn't even want to be associated with?
  • Crystalscoops
    Crystalscoops Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yeah I suppose you guys are right. I was just happy on seeing a loss of 10lbs in one week
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Yikes! That's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too aggressive. Unless under medical supervision, you really shouldn't be shooting for more than 2 lbs/week and that's assuming you've got 75 lbs or more to lose. (Note: during the first couple of weeks, it's extremely possible to lose more, but that's mostly water weight. It tapers off.)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Yeah I suppose you guys are right. I was just happy on seeing a loss of 10lbs in one week

Ain't nobody losing 10 pounds of actual weight per week. The vast majority of it will be water weight and glycogen from your muscles. There's no shortcut to weight loss.
  • Crystalscoops
    Crystalscoops Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    The thing about water weight is that it's pretty boggling to someone just starting out. I seriously give you props for making a change. Usually, the first week or two of a diet adjustment results in the whoosh. You see a dramatic drop on the scale, but the majority of said drop is water. Since we're all made of mostly water, we hold onto a bunch of it.

Lowering your sodium intake reduces water retention. So, you lose water weight. It should also be noted water weight can be just as flexible in the up. Even now, I can tell the day after a meal out will result in a few pounds gained. All water. All drops off once I get back to normal routine.

Don't get discouraged though. Bettering yourself does not have to be this mystical adventure through a torture chamber. You can enjoy all kinds of things and lose weight. Consistency over time is what gives you loss that'll be more prone to staying off than not, and that's because you'll develop better habits.
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Cut out carbs and your weight will drop pretty darn fast. You can still eat a balanced diet. Just don't eat bread for a while.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Cut out carbs and your weight will drop pretty darn fast. You can still eat a balanced diet. Just don't eat bread for a while.

Water weight.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Fun fact: you know why the link you posted isn't too the mayo Clinic website? Because that's not the Mayo Clinic diet. That's a silly fad diet that stole the name. What does that tell you about its credibility?
  • ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I have actually done it, a few years ago, and yes it was miserable. MFP's deficit is enough for most people to see some success, and then you can go to more specialized programs if you feel like it.