Have I really just gained 4lbs ?

Options
mariejade96
mariejade96 Posts: 5 Member
edited June 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello.

Over the course of 5 months I have been jogging and walking for over 2hours everyday plus I go on my stationary bike for 1 hour if I'm not too tired.

This Monday -Wednesday I went to the gym for the first time in 5 month's, went on both the elliptical, tred mill and stationary bike. After my 2nd and 3rd session I was sore and today have gained 4lbs since Monday and was wondering why this has happened and if this is normal?

I weigh all my food and sauces vigorously. I drink between 2l-4l a day.

Everyone's feedback would be appreciated:)

Many thanks

Replies

• manhnguyen123
    manhnguyen123 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    How much weight loss have you observed? Your Body might've plateaued.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Your muscles are holding water to repair themselves. It's very common after you introduce a new exercise. It may stick around for a couple weeks also, so don't let it discourage you.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Water weight.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    You definitely did not gain 4lb of fat in 4 days eating in a calorie deficit if that's what you're asking. Water retention is what tends to cause fluctuations in weight from day-to-day, it's fairly normal and can be caused by the new exercise but also by sodium intake, alcohol, dehydration, changes in macros and hormone levels throughout your menstrual cycle amongst other things. You can use a trend weight app like Happy Scale or Libra if you're weighing frequently to cut through the uncertainty of the day-to-day fluctuations.

To gain 4lb of actual fat you would have needed to eat 14000 calories above your maintenance calorie allowance.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sore muscles retain water....
  • mariejade96
    mariejade96 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Your muscles are holding water to repair themselves. It's very common after you introduce a new exercise. It may stick around for a couple weeks also, so don't let it discourage you.

Thank you!!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    New exercise -> soreness -> temporary water weight gain = normal.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

^^^^

This is exactly right. I also like to emphasize that this is your body doing what it's supposed to do and it's a good thing.