Gym workout/routine ideas

Options
Hello fellow maintainers!

I am trying to get into the gym more to add some variety to my workouts. I usually prefer outdoor activities such as hiking, walking, running, bicycling. I also practice yoga several times a week. I enjoy calisthenics/body weight exercises that don't need much/any equipment, where all I need is my yoga mat.

Does anyone have some suggestions for gym routines/workouts for me, around 45 mins? I am very active and am looking to tone my muscles but not create extra bulk, and get a cardiovascular workout. I feel lost when I go to the gym, and usually start with cardio machines for 15-20 mins and then try and find a corner where I can lay my yoga mat down and do some body weight exercises and yoga for 15-20 mins.

Thanks for your input.

Replies

• bethany_rose8
    bethany_rose8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am a fitness professional and lifting weights is what creates "tone" in your body.

What specific body parts would you like to "tone".

Message me and I can assist you.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I am a fitness professional and lifting weights is what creates "tone" in your body.

What specific body parts would you like to "tone".

Message me and I can assist you.

If you were a fitness professional, you would know that losing fat is what creates tone. and that you can't target fat loss.
  • JordonDavis89
    JordonDavis89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would check out Fitness Blender on Youtube. They have a great variety of workouts, most of which do not require equipment. The workouts are in a variety of lengths so you should be able to find some that fit your time needs. Good luck!
  • whippedcargo893
    whippedcargo893 Posts: 9 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

If you were a fitness professional, you would know that losing fat is what creates tone. and that you can't target fat loss.

I didn't ask if you could criticize others opinions/advice.

Please only comment if you have a response to my inquiry and have something friendly to input.

Thanks in advance.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I didn't ask if you could criticize others opinions/advice.

Please only comment if you have a response to my inquiry and have something friendly to input.

Thanks in advance.

I'm very sorry you didn't like my advice.

That doesn't change reality. If you want to lose weight, you need to create a calorie deficit.

You can do that by increasing activity, or by reducing calories, or both. The best course of action is both.

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I am trying to get into the gym more to add some variety to my workouts. I usually prefer outdoor activities such as hiking, walking, running, bicycling. I also practice yoga several times a week. I enjoy calisthenics/body weight exercises that don't need much/any equipment, where all I need is my yoga mat.

Does anyone have some suggestions for gym routines/workouts for me, around 45 mins? I am very active and am looking to tone my muscles but not create extra bulk, and get a cardiovascular workout. I feel lost when I go to the gym, and usually start with cardio machines for 15-20 mins and then try and find a corner where I can lay my yoga mat down and do some body weight exercises and yoga for 15-20 mins.

Thanks for your input.

It sounds like you have the cardio covered with stuff you enjoy doing, so I would stick to just strength training for the gym sessions instead of the hampster wheels/aerobics/etc. One of the sticky posts in the "Goal: Gaining Weight and Body Building" forum has a list of good beginner weight training programs in it.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    It sounds like workouts that you do for time would be right up your alley. I've seen complexes where you do many of the big lifts sequentially, all with the same weight. So you'd pick the lift you are weakest in, then use that weight for all the lifts, doing them back-to-back-to-back. There is a name for them, but it eludes me. Hopefully someone else can chime in so you'll have something more meaningful to google.

There's also crossfit-style workouts where you do a number of exercises for time... this might also be really well suited for you.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    It sounds like workouts that you do for time would be right up your alley. I've seen complexes where you do many of the big lifts sequentially, all with the same weight. So you'd pick the lift you are weakest in, then use that weight for all the lifts, doing them back-to-back-to-back. There is a name for them, but it eludes me. Hopefully someone else can chime in so you'll have something more meaningful to google.

There's also crossfit-style workouts where you do a number of exercises for time... this might also be really well suited for you.

You have the name correct: complexes.

Here are some (ignore the "for fat loss" part): https://www.t-nation.com/training/complexes-for-fat-loss

https://www.t-nation.com/training/screw-cardio-four-complexes-for-a-shredded-physique

http://www.fitocracy.com/knowledge/10-minutes-for-fat-loss/

eta: That said, these complexes only take ~10-15 minutes. Most of the beginner programs here will usually take ~30-45 minutes, as OP mentioned.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Also, utilizing supersets is a good way to keep your HR up while keeping a more traditional lifting approach (rather than something crossfit-ish).
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

Thanks for your input.

I would continue your outdoor things you enjoy for cardio, and in the gym you can continue your body weight focused moves. Push ups, pull ups and bodyweight rows, squats, lunges, step ups, single leg squats (several variations).
    If you decide to use weights, squats, overhead press, bent over rows, dead lifts, are a good addition.
    There is no workout specific to "tone", it's just a matter of getting lean while having some muscle. That process is achieved by strength training, cardio work & a calorie deficit to lose fat.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Get the StrongLifts 5X5 app or the Strong Curves book (specifically for women) as they have very guided routines. The Strong Curves book also has pics of the exercise and very descriptive instructions on how to do the move properly.
  • RedSquadronLeader
    RedSquadronLeader Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you're into body weight exercises, I highly recommend the free app "Sworkit." It has a ton of workouts divided into Strength, Cardio, Yoga, and Stretching -- they're circuit-type workouts and you can adjust the length of the work intervals, rest periods, and overall workout length. You can also custom-build some workouts with your favorite exercises.

I also incorporate regular weight training and HIIT into my routines, but bodyweight and functional movement exercises (and flexibility too for completeness) are IMO the foundation of a good fitness program.

As for the toning -- look to increase your muscle (you really won't build a lot of muscle unless you start a program with progressive overload, even then it would take a lot of extra food and training to build significantly more muscle), which should help you get the look you want to achieve. You might also want to lose a bit of fat but that's really depending on your current level and your own personal goals. Try eating around maintenance, focus on getting enough protein, and keeping up with your current fitness routine. Reassess in a month or two, if you want to lose more fat then shave off a couple hundred calories.

Good luck!