Thoughts on humanely raised meat and poultry...

Options
highwood125
highwood125 Posts: 31 Member
So I want to be more picky when buying meat/poultry etc. A part of me would love to go vegetarian but doubt that H would eliminate meat completely himself. So, what is the best bet to ensure then that at least the meat I am buying ideally comes from local family farms? Are local butcher shops the best bet?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    We buy grass fed beef from a family owned farm/ranch in Southern California.

It ain't cheap, but we know exactly what we're getting.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    I don't think a local butcher shop would have just local meat. they get large quantity meats shipped in from who knows where, (they do so ask them) because they couldn't possibly raise or most likely find enough local to support their sales.

Buying your own say, 1/4 beef from a trusted local farmer and having it processed at a trusted butcher is your best bet, but you will pay larger amounts up front because of the volume you're buying at one time, then of course you need the freezer space to store it.

other than that, most generally speaking a good supermarket that has good supply chains is really your only practical choice , we at least for most people.
  • highwood125
    Options
    Yeah I will check it out. For me, the main thing is was the animal treated well. I know we are never going to get a way from eating meat as a society so at least I can purchase meat and support local family farms.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Do you have local farmers markets? We've had great conversations with stallholders/farmers about how they run their farms and raise their livestock. Prices are generally pretty good too...
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I recently made the switch to veganism and we're currently cooking seperately, but I'm seeing in the future (When I'm closer to my goal weight) that I would cook healthy meals and just add a meat replacement for his plate. Or in your case you could also add meat to his plate while you have a little more of the other stuff.

If you don't want to eat meat you really shouldn't eat it anyway because the partner wants it right?
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options

Tried that before. I know its better for you but all the meats lacked flavor and, in some cases, the taste of grass was too strong.
  • highwood125
    Options
    There is a local farm that is SPCA certified, and I like their product but am thinking that it will not always be practical for me to go and get some of it. I bought some of their stirfry chicken and it was awesome...no fat,no waste.
  • T0M_K
    Options
    no one can guarantee the animal was treated "well" thats just to subjective. you rather eat the family pet cow or just buy a steak at walmart with no emotional connection??? I was raised on a farm...anyone selling "protein" for a living is just raising it, feeding it with quality feed and sending it to slaughter.."treating it well"...like what does that even mean.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

Tried that before. I know its better for you but all the meats lacked flavor and, in some cases, the taste of grass was too strong.

my dad hates lamb because he says he can taste the wool lol.
  • highwood125
    Options
    Local grocery stores are now selling meat and poultry with the "certified humane" on it. That is a good option too.
  • T0M_K
    Options
    Local grocery stores are now selling meat and poultry with the "certified humane" on it. That is a good option too.

certified humane...ok call me skeptical but really.....its a marketing ploy so they can charge you more money for it.
  • highwood125
    Options
    I just started to get into buying skin/makeup products from companies that do not do animal testing.

Now I want to be responsible in the food I eat. I already buy free range eggs but want to do that for meat/poultry.
  • highwood125
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    no one can guarantee the animal was treated "well" thats just to subjective. you rather eat the family pet cow or just buy a steak at walmart with no emotional connection??? I was raised on a farm...anyone selling "protein" for a living is just raising it, feeding it with quality feed and sending it to slaughter.."treating it well"...like what does that even mean.

We had a big story here locally about a chicken factory and undercover footage showed horrible abuse to the chickens. The workers were fired and the SPCA is still investigating and hopefully charges will be forth coming. That is what I want to avoid is purchasing from companies that do that.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options

Word!!
  • T0M_K
    Options
    I just started to get into buying skin/makeup products from companies that do not do animal testing.

Now I want to be responsible in the food I eat. I already buy free range eggs but want to do that for meat/poultry.

as was stated earlier...you may not like what your asking for. just because someone sticks a cow in a pasture to eat only grass doesn't make it better. Again, I was raised on a farm. We provided our animals supplements for nutrition's sake, not "steroids to make animals big fat cash cows..pun intended". you can feed grains with vitamins and minerals mixes to animals and enhance their development and ultimately the flavor of the final product without being an evil money monger and being unethical.

What do you feed your dog? a food enhanced with vitamins and minerals for their well being. I see it the same. MHO.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

94d7b9de6b35484ee52511c3f41558deee0bac2b2aeb13cc8dd774dbc8f67b52.jpg
  • T0M_K
    Options

We had a big story here locally about a chicken factory and undercover footage showed horrible abuse to the chickens. The workers were fired and the SPCA is still investigating and hopefully charges will be forth coming. That is what I want to avoid is purchasing from companies that do that.

Good luck. the next story is right around the corner. there are no guarantees unless you buy directly from the farmer and know the farmer personally.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options

How were they abused? Spanked? Verbally assaulted? Not fed or watered?
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    Options

I know you mean well, but putting "protein" synonymous with meat is not entirely right and a misconception many people make (You probably know this, but saying it like that maybe confirms that belief to some). There are so many people who don't know protein can be just as easily obtained from plants that I just wanted to mention this. Other than that I completely agree!
  • T0M_K
    Options
    i'm HUGELY skeptical on topics like this. We "trust" the label... "humanely raised" "grass feed" but its marketing. just don't fall victim to the marketing. if your going to be skeptical about the food you consume, then also be skeptical about the marketing of the same food. its about the almighty $. never forget. its FAR cheaper to "grass feed" your cow...yet it costs you more to buy it because of the Label!!

When we supplemented our animals it was for their well being not because we could say...hey gave that cow a one a day multi vitamin with breakfast...now pay me more for it. we got the same price as someone who grass feeds only.

just be careful is all i'm saying. do very careful research and then just make your decision. no one has to agree with you, its your choice to make. just don't fall victim to the hype one direction or the other.