Has anyone tried the DASH diet?

Options
Hi All I've just been told I have high cholesterol 7.2 , I'm 68 not overweight & I thought healthy so am a bit shocked and scared .
My Dr has recommended the DASH diet has anyone tried it ? Got any views/tips ?
Natalie

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried it but it DOES top this list: http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/best-diets-overall.

Skimming quickly, some key points:
    How easy is it to follow?

While it may be difficult to give up your favorite fatty, sugary and salty fare, DASH doesn't restrict entire food groups, upping your chances of sticking with it long-term.

Convenience:
    Although recipe options are boundless, alcohol is not. The DASH guide PDFs are packed with tips to make it all easier.

Recipes: The NHLBI offers numerous recipes in its 20-page PDF guide. Otherwise, lots of reputable organizations, like the Mayo Clinic, provide long lists of DASH-friendly recipes.

Eating out: Difficult, since restaurant meals are notoriously salty, oversized and fatty. If you do dine out, NHLBI suggests avoiding salt by shunning pickled, cured or smoked items; limiting condiments; choosing fruits or vegetables instead of soup; and requesting the chef find other ways to season your meal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It seems like a pretty healthy and flexible diet that's pretty similar to the current dietary guidelines.

From Mayo Clinic, it involves: lots of whole grains, fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy products, also fish, poultry and legumes, and a small amount of nuts and seeds a few times a week.

"You can eat red meat, sweets and fats in small amounts. The DASH diet is low in saturated fat, cholesterol and total fat."

"Focus on whole grains because they have more fiber and nutrients than do refined grains."

"Vegetables: 4 to 5 servings a day" -- I'm sure more would be fine too.

"Fruits: 4 to 5 servings a day" -- I actually think this is more than necessary and would rather have more vegetables (I also am more skeptical about eating lots of grains as a necessary thing than the diet seems to be, but my opinion is not relevant). Tasty, though.

"Dairy: 2 to 3 servings a day.... But the key is to make sure that you choose dairy products that are low fat or fat-free because otherwise they can be a major source of fat — and most of it is saturated." (There are studies that suggest that full fat dairy isn't actually all that bad, but again the diet as a whole seems reasonable to me.)

"Lean meat, poultry and fish: 6 servings or fewer a day" -- But this seems to define serving as a tiny amount, or is a typo, as it goes on to say: "Choose lean varieties and aim for no more than 6 ounces a day. Cutting back on your meat portion will allow room for more vegetables." (IMO, you don't really need to cut back on meat to make room for vegetables, as meat and vegetables makes a pretty low cal meal in and of itself, but again the diet seems reasonable if your doctor wants you to try it.)

Anyway, my dad followed a similar way of eating (probably more lean meat than recommended, but lots of it is fish as he lives in the Pacific NW) and managed to reduce his cholesterol -- he's 73 now, but this was some years ago, and his cholesterol is still good and he still eats pretty much this way, as it suits his preferences, including the lots of whole grains and fruit.)

Did you get referred to a dietitian? That can be helpful in learning a way of eating that's new to you.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I haven't tried it (I prefer making my own guidelines) but it's a very reasonable diet. Go for it, but keep in mind that you still need to keep your calories in check, because if you are not overweight now you risk under-eating if you switch to a fiber rich lean diet.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's more bad news. Being shocked and scared raises your cholesterol too.

https://www.ted.com/talks/kelly_mcgonigal_how_to_make_stress_your_friend

A diet rich in fruits and vegetables with protein from lean meats and fish, is a pretty darn good diet. Since you are not overweight and live a generally healthy lifestyle, I suggest gradually improving one dish at a time.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's a good, common sense, healthy way to eat. Good luck!
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'm on a similar eating plan, and it's working out well in so many ways. :)
  • ssbbg
    ssbbg Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I thought the primary result of the DASH diet was to reduce blood pressure not cholesterol? The NIH resources are very good, so I would read those materials.

I personally found the diet was too low sodium and the increased potassium wasn't sufficient for my electrolyte balance. I followed it for 6 months (?) And felt like death for most of it. The day I broke down and had something horribly salty I felt better within 20 minutes.

I was a vegetarian who pretty much was already eating per the DASH guidelines so the only change I made was reducing salt and selecting veg that were higher in potassium. I also lived in a hot area without air-conditioning, walked everywhere, and sweated a ton. Oh, and I've always consumed a lot of water. I think that is a bad combo for a low salt diet.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    ssbbg wrote: »
    I thought the primary result of the DASH diet was to reduce blood pressure not cholesterol? The NIH resources are very good, so I would read those materials.

I personally found the diet was too low sodium and the increased potassium wasn't sufficient for my electrolyte balance. I followed it for 6 months (?) And felt like death for most of it. The day I broke down and had something horribly salty I felt better within 20 minutes.

I was a vegetarian who pretty much was already eating per the DASH guidelines so the only change I made was reducing salt and selecting veg that were higher in potassium. I also lived in a hot area without air-conditioning, walked everywhere, and sweated a ton. Oh, and I've always consumed a lot of water. I think that is a bad combo for a low salt diet.
    Following this type of diet can have a lot of beneficial effects. It was intended to reduce blood pressure, but it can also help with other problems, including helping people lose weight.

The salt restrictions are probably intended for people who have a medical need for that. If your doctor says you're OK to eat more salt, then you should be able to. You should always talk with your doctor about any new diet anyway.

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I've been casually checking back on this thread, as I considered posting a similar one. I was recently diagnosed with high blood pressure, and have been watching to see if anyone has weighed in with DASH diet results regarding that. I didn't realize it could also be used to help cholesterol numbers.
  • ssbbg
    ssbbg Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »

The salt restrictions are probably intended for people who have a medical need for that. If your doctor says you're OK to eat more salt, then you should be able to. You should always talk with your doctor about any new diet anyway.

I'll be honest, this response really rubs me the wrong way. I shared my experiences, and you seem to be telling me that I both followed the diet wrong (that I should have ignored the section on sodium and potassium) AND I should have consulted my doctor. The DASH diet sodium recommendations are typical- 2300 mg. Nothing red-flaggy that would suggest a consultation with a doctor was necessary. (Like many Americans I typically consume much higher sodium amounts, so it was a reduction for me.)

• barbamorrison40
    barbamorrison40 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it (I prefer making my own guidelines) but it's a very reasonable diet. Go for it, but keep in mind that you still need to keep your calories in check, because if you are not overweight now you risk under-eating if you switch to a fiber rich lean diet.

I am the same way to
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I've been casually checking back on this thread, as I considered posting a similar one. I was recently diagnosed with high blood pressure, and have been watching to see if anyone has weighed in with DASH diet results regarding that. I didn't realize it could also be used to help cholesterol numbers.

The original Dash Diet Action Plan was for both blood pressure AND cholesterol.
    https://www.amazon.com/DASH-Diet-Action-Plan-Cholesterol-ebook/dp/B005ALE4X8/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1497790253&sr=8-4
    If you have a library card, HOOPLA DIGITAL (which rocks) has several of the Dash Diet books.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It seems like a pretty healthy and flexible diet that's pretty similar to the current dietary guidelines.

From Mayo Clinic, it involves: lots of whole grains, fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy products, also fish, poultry and legumes, and a small amount of nuts and seeds a few times a week.

"You can eat red meat, sweets and fats in small amounts. The DASH diet is low in saturated fat, cholesterol and total fat."

"Focus on whole grains because they have more fiber and nutrients than do refined grains."

"Vegetables: 4 to 5 servings a day" -- I'm sure more would be fine too.

"Fruits: 4 to 5 servings a day" -- I actually think this is more than necessary and would rather have more vegetables (I also am more skeptical about eating lots of grains as a necessary thing than the diet seems to be, but my opinion is not relevant). Tasty, though.

"Dairy: 2 to 3 servings a day.... But the key is to make sure that you choose dairy products that are low fat or fat-free because otherwise they can be a major source of fat — and most of it is saturated." (There are studies that suggest that full fat dairy isn't actually all that bad, but again the diet as a whole seems reasonable to me.)

"Lean meat, poultry and fish: 6 servings or fewer a day" -- But this seems to define serving as a tiny amount, or is a typo, as it goes on to say: "Choose lean varieties and aim for no more than 6 ounces a day. Cutting back on your meat portion will allow room for more vegetables." (IMO, you don't really need to cut back on meat to make room for vegetables, as meat and vegetables makes a pretty low cal meal in and of itself, but again the diet seems reasonable if your doctor wants you to try it.)

Anyway, my dad followed a similar way of eating (probably more lean meat than recommended, but lots of it is fish as he lives in the Pacific NW) and managed to reduce his cholesterol -- he's 73 now, but this was some years ago, and his cholesterol is still good and he still eats pretty much this way, as it suits his preferences, including the lots of whole grains and fruit.)

Did you get referred to a dietitian? That can be helpful in learning a way of eating that's new to you.

This. And,
    There are several varieties of the Dash Diet now:
    One that focuses on blood pressure and cholesterol
    One that focuses on weight loss
    One that focuses on aging

Each of them seems to be built pretty well and all are based on NIH research.
    Again, if anyone is interested in one of the DASH diets, which do seem pretty darned educational, and you have a public library card and either a kindle or an iphone/android Hoopla Digital has several of them!
  • dragon_girl26
    Options

The original Dash Diet Action Plan was for both blood pressure AND cholesterol.
    https://www.amazon.com/DASH-Diet-Action-Plan-Cholesterol-ebook/dp/B005ALE4X8/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1497790253&sr=8-4
    If you have a library card, HOOPLA DIGITAL (which rocks) has several of the Dash Diet books.

Didn't even think about HOOPLA, great suggestion. I'll take a look! Thank you!
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

I was advised to follow the DASH diet a few years ago when I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. The diet guidelines that I received included a recommended 1500mg/day of sodium, which I generally still try to follow. It's a very healthy way of eating, and it did help get my BP under control. I'm a bit looser in my eating habits these days, but it really helped me discover what works and doesn't work for my BP.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Following this type of diet can have a lot of beneficial effects. It was intended to reduce blood pressure, but it can also help with other problems, including helping people lose weight.

it will only help weight loss if the person is in a deficit of calories and if it makes them eat lower calorie foods then that is where the deficit comes in.
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    Options

it will only help weight loss if the person is in a deficit of calories and if it makes them eat lower calorie foods then that is where the deficit comes in.

I was going to also say this, but it seems like the op is not overweight. In that case, seems like a healthy plan

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    mlsh1969 wrote: »

I was going to also say this, but it seems like the op is not overweight. In that case, seems like a healthy plan

not saying its not a healthy plan though
  • dragon_girl26
    Options

I was advised to follow the DASH diet a few years ago when I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. The diet guidelines that I received included a recommended 1500mg/day of sodium, which I generally still try to follow. It's a very healthy way of eating, and it did help get my BP under control. I'm a bit looser in my eating habits these days, but it really helped me discover what works and doesn't work for my BP.

Thanks for the feedback. Mine is most likely partly hereditary, so it could be that I don't have much I can do, outside of prescription meds. I'm thinking I might give the DASH approach a go, though. Certainly couldn't hurt.
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. Mine is most likely partly hereditary, so it could be that I don't have much I can do, outside of prescription meds. I'm thinking I might give the DASH approach a go, though. Certainly couldn't hurt.

Same here. And yep, i'm still on the meds. But I would be worse off if I didn't control my sodium as well. I have an annoying HBP symptom of a whooshing sound in my right ear when my BP is high, and when I eat high sodium the whooshing gets worse. So I have a strong motivation to keep it low! It's definitely worth a shot, in my opinion.