Can an injury cause weight gain?

Options
I don't mean this in the "I stopped working out/eating right because of an injury" way.

I mean, I injured myself in a mountain bike wipeout and gained 5 pounds in a week way. Does inflammation cause water retention?

I've continued to track calories and walk or do my elliptical but that's all I've been able to do. I fell on a boulder on my side, so the muscles and cartilage of my rib cage are very angry.

There's no way I've eaten enough to gain 5 pounds and it's not my time of the month. At the worst, I've done maintenance or maintained a small deficit during this time. It's now been 10 days since my fall.

I'm already frustrated that I can't work out especially mountain bike. I just bought the most awesome bike too...lol! I don't want to gain all the weight back I've lost. I've struggled to do lose 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound a week.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    I mean, I injured myself in a mountain bike wipeout and gained 5 pounds in a week way. Does inflammation cause water retention?

Yes.

Also, when I'm injured I eat at maintenance. It helps the healing. Be gentle with yourself, you're on the injured list.

I hope you feel better soon.
  • AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    Options

Yes.

Also, when I'm injured I eat at maintenance. It helps the healing. Be gentle with yourself, you're on the injured list.

I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks! I've been taking it easy, it's just frustrating. The walking and elliptical actually seem to help me stay looser and less painful.

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    Inflammation in itself is your body protecting your injury with the fluids it generates so it makes sense that your body would hang on to water to repair itself. If you're also eating at maintenance and you're taking a few more carbs in, this might also add to water retention. I wouldn't worry too much about it whilst you're recovering.