is oly lifting for me given circumstances?

Options
Luna3386
Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
I'd love to get into olypmic lifting but here are my concerns:

No coach (someday I'd like to go do a training weekend at the Olympic center about 5 hours away.)

My gym doesn't have bumper plates. They don't even allow chalk.

Could I, should I, still learn some of the basic lifts (I have started doing cleans)? If so, what videos, training plans do you recommend?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If you want it bad enough, find a way. Bergener is a good coach. There's tons of online videos. Jarod Enderton gives a lot of good tips on IG. is there a crossfit box nearby? Look for an Olympic lifting club in your area.
    You're going to be extremely limited without bumper plates, the first time you drop the weights you're likely to be thrown out of your gym.
  • Luna3386
    Options
    I have to drive 40 miles just for a Walmart or other chain grocery, so nothing like CrossFit.

Guess I will save up for the lifting training weekend and a used set of equipment. In the meantime I will stick with powerlifting, even though I am unlikely to compete given I live in the boonies.

Thanks for the responses.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Catalyst Athletics is an EXCELLENT resource for Olympic Lifting. Greg Everett's Olympic Weightlifting book & DVD are good resources for you until you can find a coach and/or get the proper equipment.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if its something you wanna do, yes go for it, even if you are limited with equip and resources. just start out doing what you can do , And as you progress you can always switch gyms, and find a coach or a team of people to work with. Oly lifting involves lots more than just dropping bumper plates or using chalk, there is so much you can do to get into condition physically and mentally , learn basic lifting form and technique, learn nutrition, etc. Go for it!
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I drive 40 minutes to my coach/gym. (I also came to WL from PL) I probably pass 30-40 gyms along the way. If you want to do it, find a way. I know someone who drives to a coach once a week, the rest of the time she sends her coach videos to critique and does the program he writes for her in her garage gym. If you want to try it, then do! It's super fun and I've really increased my flexibility and strength far more than I ever would have in PL.
  • Luna3386
    Options
    Team_KiKi wrote: »
    I drive 40 minutes to my coach/gym. (I also came to WL from PL) I probably pass 30-40 gyms along the way. If you want to do it, find a way. I know someone who drives to a coach once a week, the rest of the time she sends her coach videos to critique and does the program he writes for her in her garage gym. If you want to try it, then do! It's super fun and I've really increased my flexibility and strength far more than I ever would have in PL.

Cool. I seriously live in BFE. I'd have to drive an hour+ on a two lane road to get to a powerlifting gym. And that's in the summer, the winter brings it's own challenges!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Team_KiKi wrote: »

this is what i do, but my drive is about an hour and 25 minutes, if there is no traffic. I try and go twice a week, but usually only make it once a week to see her. i do the rest of the workouts on my own . its so worth it for the proper coaching