Exercise while having chronic pain and chronic health conditions

Options
I have had food addiction for as long as I can recall. Also chronic health conditions since childhood and pain conditions since 2007, Fibromyalgia being one of my diagnoses. In 2010, my pain management doctors found I had additional diagnoses regarding my spine which required surgery and spine procedures. I gained 100 pounds over the time frame of 2013 to 2015 because my fitness routine drastically changed, it realistically stopped all together. I'm doing my best to lose the weight and gain a stronger wellness life style. Is there anyone else out there that struggles with this? Uff da!

Replies

• holderh1
    holderh1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I can not relate to your pain problems but I wanted to encourage you. You are taking a step in the right direction. Although excercise helps me to lose weight, you don't have to work out to shed the pounds. Stay within your set calories and eat at a deficit that
    You can realistically stick to. If you can start walking. Walking is better than sitting. It will take time but you can do this!
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    You will probably find that losing weight helps some of your conditions. In the meantime, I'd suggest starting small. Really small. Anything is better than nothing.

When I started this journey and my damaged achilles was at its worst, I could barely walk across the car park. OK; so I made sure I walked across the car park every day. A month later that wasn't hurting quite so much, so I tried walking a bit further, sitting down for a few minutes, and then walking back.

I now walk between one and two miles at lunchtime every day, but I got there in very, very cautious baby steps. And further progress will be in careful increments too.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear of your situation. I can sympathize to some degree. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in 2003. There have been a lot of ups and downs for me since then, but the one thing that I can say with certainty is that I am in a much better place both physically and mentally when I am able to exercise regularly. I have discussed this at length with my doctor and he supports the idea that I should maintain a healthy exercise regimen.

I am sure that you are probably limited in what you are able to do, but I would definitely suggest talking with your doctor to develop a regular routine of exercise, even if this just means walking or some type of light strength training. I have heard that water walking is a very good exercise for people with physical limitations. There are a number of people at my gym that do it every morning.

Wishing you the best!
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction so I know a bit about chronic pain and exercising. I'm lucky in the sense that my SIJD responded pretty well to PT and I'm able to maintain it well just by being consistent in my PT strengtheners, stretching, and massage. There are days that I'm in more pain than others, and flare ups happen. I'm usually in at least a little bit of discomfort every day, but not excruciating. I've learned what exercises I can no longer tolerate (Back squats, front squats, and deadlifts are out), and there are days that I have to take unexpected rest days due to pain.
    My suggestion is to find a team that can help you get back to activities that you love. For me, I found a PT that was very familiar with SIJD, she worked with me to manipulate my pelvis back in line and then strengthen the muscles around it, then I found an MT to help with the muscles so that they wouldn't pull things out of alignment so easily. I know what you are dealing with is completely different than my stuff, but finding doctors and practitioners that can help with your conditions and are aware of what activities you are looking to get back into can help immensely (example:You don't go to a doctor who doesn't believe in running if your goal is to heal from an injury and run a marathon). Also, find out what limitations you may have to work with that aren't fixable and work your goals around a realistic mindset
  • ihkids
    ihkids Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have Fibromyalgia, serve nerve disorder and SI, it is when the part of my spine that should not move, it moves. In the past I have learned that water exerices helps. There is also this one exercise equipment I like that I can stretch my back.