Vegan and Vegetarians!! Where do you get your protein?

Options
How you make sure you are consuming your regular calories each day? I am having a hard time consuming 1900- 2000 calories per day? Any advice?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Eating a vegetarian diet makes it a lot easier to get more protein imo, as you can have eggs and dairy.
    Otherwise tofu, tempeh, seitan, beans/legumes/grains, protein supplements will be your go to things, along with whatever is in your other food (like the small amount in vegies, nuts etc)

If you struggle to get calories, choose calorie dense foods - starchy carbs, fats (avo, nuts, oils etc)
  • ENolan1220
    ENolan1220 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I mainly get my protein from tofu, beans, hemp powder, soy milk, quinoa, chia seeds, and lentils. As for how to get 2000 calories, it’s pretty simple if you include high calorie dense foods like regular rice, beans, peanut butter, etc. you can also try to make shakes with fruits and oats if that’s your thing. if you’re vegetarian (consume dairy products) eggs and yogurt is also a good option for protein.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Here's what Monday looked like. Protein is the 4th column from the left. For the record, I have a base 1380 calories with my activity level set to sedentary. I eat back half my exercise calories. And, of course, when I exercise, MFP boosts, not only my daily calories but also the grams-per-macro. Before adding extra calories, my protein target is 69 grams. Since I don't eat back all my exercise calories, I'm not that concerned if I come close to—but don't hit—my adjusted protein.

ka1d5xdzjllo.png
  • hannahvean
    hannahvean Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Beans & legumes! I've started adding them to a lot more meals. Not only are they high in protein, but they're high in fiber and for me it's fiber that really keeps me feeling full longer. For breakfast, I'll typically have a "Protein Bowl" which is

- 2 soft-boiled eggs
    - 1/2 cup black beans
    - a whole tomato sliced into wedges
    - 1 tbsp of pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
    - a tbsp of raw onion
    - salt n' peppa

370 cals, 38g carbs, 16g fat, 25g protein & 12g fiber. Microwave everything except the eggs for 1.5 minutes and then chop up the eggs in the bowl. It's delicious! The soft-boiled eggs make a bit of a decadent sauce in the bowl. Keeps me full till lunch.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I average 115g of protein a day in 1500-1750 calories. My staples are cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, eggs, other cheeses (part-skim mozzarella is awesome) and protein powder/bars. I fill in the rest with things like beans, brown rice and meat substitutes.

I have to sit down each day and plan out my protein before anything else; all other calories have to fit around my protein.
  • Fitblkorchid
    Fitblkorchid Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Here's what Monday looked like. Protein is the 4th column from the left. For the record, I have a base 1380 calories with my activity level set to sedentary. I eat back half my exercise calories. And, of course, when I exercise, MFP boosts, not only my daily calories but also the grams-per-macro. Before adding extra calories, my protein target is 69 grams. Since I don't eat back all my exercise calories, I'm not that concerned if I come close to—but don't hit—my adjusted protein.

ka1d5xdzjllo.png

this is sooooooo helpful I really appreciate it. I was trying to find something quick and easy to make I need meal prep that is fast and easy and isn't time consuming.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    No problem! I have my diary set to public, though someone told me today that they couldn't access until I sent them a friend request. If you want recipes, feel free to ask.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I eat beans just about every day, often in multiple meals. I also frequently have tofu, tempeh, and seitan. I sometimes add vegan jerky (my favorite kind is soy-based) or protein powder if I'm feeling the need to boost it. I typically eat about 2,000 calories a day -- grains and vegetables round out the rest of my protein needs.