How many meals a day?

Options
I currently eat two meals a day; lunch and dinner. I've read all the articles and been told by countless friends (who are self proclaimed health experts) that you MUST eat 5 small meals a day to really lose weight. Otherwise your body goes into "starvation mode" and your metabolism slows to crawl. Won't matter how much of a calorie deficit you run or how much you work out. Only 2 meals a day - you're screwed for losing weight.

But I simply cannot follow the 5 meal a day routine. Eating breakfast (within 1-2 hours of waking) makes me nauseous beyond belief. And my work schedule doesn't allow me to graze throughout the day. (Not to mention my inherant laziness that wouldn't allow me to meal prep for 2+ hours a night haha).

So my question, am I really not going to see weight loss results unless I magically find a way to get in an extra 3 meals?!

Replies

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    No. You lose weight from a calorie deficit.

I, personally, eat 5 meals because I am hypoglycemic and need to keep my blood sugar level. But it's a personal choice.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    I ate two meals a day all through my 70 pound weight loss. I experimented with the five meals a day thing and it was awful for me.

I still eat two meals, I've been at my maintenance weight for ten years. I find the less I discuss my food plans or choices with people, the better things are. :lol:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Split up your calories into 1 big meal or 12 tiny meals. Doesn't matter for weight loss.
    Do what suits you best.
  • ellie7187
    ellie7187 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. I'm glad I don't have reconfigure my entire way of life haha. And great suggestion re: I'll consider it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Your friends who are "self-proclaimed health experts" obviously aren't nearly as "expert" as they think they are, lol. Meal timing/number of meals per day is irrelevant to weight loss. Calories are what matter. The only thing that matters about meal timing is eating in the pattern that's best for you in terms of satiety, adherence and workout performance.

Next time one of them pipes up, ask them "what about intermittent fasting, though?" and watch their faces go blank.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The great thing is that there's nothing to debate here, as whatever you find most sustainable will work just fine. I'd go out of my mind and never manage a bunch of mini meals, that just makes me unsatisfied and hungrier and seems idiotic to claim is necessary when many, many human societies (most, I'd assert) didn't eat in that pattern, why would it now be necessary.

I enjoy three meals, no snacking, but could also do 2 happily.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The great thing is that there's nothing to debate here, as whatever you find most sustainable will work just fine. I'd go out of my mind and never manage a bunch of mini meals, that just makes me unsatisfied and hungrier and seems idiotic to claim is necessary when many, many human societies (most, I'd assert) didn't eat in that pattern, why would it now be necessary.

I can't do multiple small meals per day. It's like every "meal" is nothing more than a tease and I'm constantly hungry. Doesn't work for me.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y.

snacks are a waste for me as i sit there right after my last bite still feeling hungry. and i get angry because there went 200 calories i could have used for dinner...

i was at my skinniest eating one big *kitten* meal a day. keep doing you, OP.