Caloric intake

Options
rjel78
rjel78 Posts: 102 Member
I am not sure if I've posted this already so I apologize. The last time I saw my doctor he wanted me on a 2000 calorie diet, however when I put my goals into MFP it says approximately 3300. Which one do I go by?

Replies

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I don't think you should be asking strangers online to override your doctor.
  • barbamorrison40
    barbamorrison40 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Like what
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    A lot more info is needed before anyone can make any suggestions for you, but I struggle with the idea of ignoring your doctor's advice.

What caused your doctor to suggest 2000 calories daily? What is leading you to believe 3300 is more reasonable?

What are your goals: fat loss, maintenance, or gaining? How do you plan to reach them?

What are your stats?
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Are you experiencing any complications due to obesity that makes your doctor believe that losing weight quickly is important to your health?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would follow your doctor's advice. She knows your case. We do not.
  • rjel78
    Options
    I am severely overweight and he suggested following this caloric intake. The problem is I am losing weight too slowly. I don't know if 3300 is more reasonable or not, I just wanted to know if anyone here was in the position I was and what they did
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    rjel78 wrote: »
    I am severely overweight and he suggested following this caloric intake. The problem is I am losing weight too slowly. I don't know if 3300 is more reasonable or not, I just wanted to know if anyone here was in the position I was and what they did

If your losing slowly on 2000 (not bad thing to lose slowly by the way) then 3300 is going to be a maintain/gain.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    What are your stats?
    How much weight are you trying to lose?
    Are you logging everything you eat accurately and honestly, ideally using a food scale?
    Do you do any exercise currently? Do you plan to?
    Did your doctor provide you with any other recommendations besides the 2000 cals, did he/she recommend you work with a registered dietician? Are there any other medical issues you are working to manage through weight loss/diet?
  • rjel78
    Options
    1) I am trying to lose about 200 lbs
    2) I am still new to the scale and sometimes I get off track but I am doing my best, tracking about 95% of my foods.
    3) I was going to planet fitness 3x per week but I am at the tail end of college before I graduate so I am concentrating fully on my studies. After this is over (6 days) I will fully commit to the gym again
    4) he suggested surgery, but being unemployed I have no cash for surgery or a nutrition
    5) I have high anxiety and did have high blood pressure awhile ago but that seems to have subsided.