Anybody lose 100 pounds and not get loose skin?

Options
2»

Replies

• RredSonja
    RredSonja Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have lost 120 pounds, about 50 more to go. It took a little over one year to loose 120. I do have loose skin, mainly my upper arms, lower abdomen, and inner thigh. Being 49, and having gone through pregnancy, I kind of expected that.

However, I have been weight training. At first just on my own, then with a certified trainer at a gym. It has made a HUGE difference in my shape. I didn't have legs or an a** like this when I was 18 and 125 pounds! I don't know how much my skin will firm up, but I plan to add plenty of muscle. It seems to help a lot. I only do cardio for 25 minutes two or three times a week, because I seriously hate it. The women I see at the gym who pretty much only do cardio are losing weight, or already thin, but their bodies are not attractive or healthy looking, IMHO.

From my experience, I would say if you want to look good and minimize sagging skin, start researching about resistance training and find a good trainer. If you're worried about looking like a man, get over that right away. The only way lifting weights will make you look masculine is if you take steroids and go to the gym every single day for YEARS.

• jilleebee77
    jilleebee77 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have (and this is not scientific fact by all means) read on here that with quick/fast weight loss you will have a lot more excess/loose skin. As well as over the course of time your body/skin/elasticity will have to "catch up" so to speak. Some have said with toning it still has taken MANY years for it to get better.

A LOT of it has to do with genetics. But toning, weight training, resistance training, however you want to put it and time is what will HELP. NOT fix it totally, but help.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I lost 145. Although I have some loose skin, it is mostly where people's problem areas are anyway, upper arms and stomach. People who see my pics often comment that I don't have loose skin, so I guess it's not too obvious. It's mostly in genetics and how much you lost, age, speed of weight loss, etc. I just don't worry about, overall I look so much better than before, it's nothing to stress about.
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    It comes down to genetics, age, how long you've been overweight, where you carry most the weight. There are people here who have lost over 100lbs and have almost no loose skin and others who have lost less but have more loose skin.

I have a friend who only gained 60lbs after she started college. She lost in in a year but has loose skin on her legs. She's a pear shape so her tummy is flat and tight but her legs now are covered in stretch marks and loose skin. She said the reason why she won't have surgery is that the skin will slowly tighten over the years and her GP recommended that she waits 5 years before considering surgery, she's only 19.

When i reach my goal I will have lost at least 125lbs, I've lost 30 so far and I already have noticed loose skin. I'm doing weight training, drinking enough water and getting the right nutrients, but I'm certain I will have loose skin and that's fine as I'm losing the weight to be healthier and to live longer. Maybe once I've given my body time to heal i might have some skin removed. I'll see how i feel in 5-6 years =)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!