Lose 2lbs gain 2lbs.. disgusted!

Options
For the past week, the scale has been up and down. I've been on 1300 cal since Last Friday. Since, the scale is going up and down depending on what I eat. Yesterday I was at 155lbs today it's at 157. I ate at maintenance yesterday. I had pizza and a scoop of ice cream.

SN: I've also started drinking diet soda. Before I was only consuming water and maybe one soft drink a week. I've been having diet Dr Peper everyday this week. Could that be part of the problem?

Replies

• NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Like other people have said, it's natural for weight to fluctuate :) Don't beat yourself up about that icecream! The most important thing is a healthy attitude towards weight loss- end you're looking for it to be sustainable and for the weight to stay off after all. I find my weight will stay the same for a week then suddenly drop then some of it come back on, it's frustrating because we all want to just be able to lose weight consistently! The approach I adopted was to lose a few lbs then purposefully gain one or two back which physically means I'm not continually restricting myself and mentally means I don't get too obsessive. It's slower but I feel more confident in it being sustainable long term. I'd say don't bother with diet soda or anything diet at all really- just eat/drink the proper stuff in moderation. If you're an icecream lover, have you tried frozen yoghurt? It's not the real stuff but it's really good in it's own right! Good luck on your weight loss and don't give up :smile:
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i eat really low calorie and my weight fluctuates. I know it's not actual weight gain, because I'm not eating enough to gain weight. This week, I'm up a pound.
    It will come off though - it could be anything. give yourself more time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Pizza is usually high in sodium, sodium often means you retain water... when you're retaining water your weight goes up.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Chadxx pic explained it perfectly. Do what you're supposed to do and give it time. It might help you not to weigh yourself as often.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    junodog1 wrote: »
    This is my two progress graph in the app. I weigh daily. Don't weigh daily if the number freak you out as it varies greatly.

rvht18jq4ju1.png

This a perfect example.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    vxtx9etvsdhb.jpg

Love the image. XKCD?
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I agree with everyone who has implied that your use of the word "disgusted" is inappropriate and ultimately self-defeating.
  • erienneb66
    erienneb66 Posts: 88 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I can't weigh myself everyday or the fluctuations drive me bonkers. I stick to twice a week because I feel like if I let it go too long it also makes me crazy. Also it's hard for me to keep in mind that for a whole week out of every 3.5 I bump up on the scale because I'm female and that sucks but hey, it happens.

Everyone has some great advice in here. It can be hard to hear, I understand because I've been there a million times, but it's all true. It's the long term you're aiming for here, not the short term anyway.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    That pizza is also probably LOADED with salt...probably retaining water
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've gone nearly 1000mg in the red in sodium today, I'm expecting a 2lb or so increase of water weight on the scale tomorrow. Happens every single time i have too much sodium and/or carbs.
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    that's not real weight. you dont gain fat in one day
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,165 Member
    Options
    Tjs8819 wrote: »
    For the past week, the scale has been up and down. I've been on 1300 cal since Last Friday. Since, the scale is going up and down depending on what I eat. Yesterday I was at 155lbs today it's at 157. I ate at maintenance yesterday. I had pizza and a scoop of ice cream.

SN: I've also started drinking diet soda. Before I was only consuming water and maybe one soft drink a week. I've been having diet Dr Peper everyday this week. Could that be part of the problem?

To the bolded, no.

As for the rest, 1) Stop weighing every day if you are going to get disgusted with what are normal day to day weight fluxuations; 2) Realize that pizza has a lot of sodium, so no surprise you put on weight the next day. If I eat higher sodium than I usually do I can put on 4 pounds by the next day. It is all water though, and comes of usually in the next 3-7 days.

Losing fat is a long process. You need to look not at day by day, or for that matter week by week, but month by month. Make sure you are logging as accurately as you can, using a kitchen scale to measure all solids and measuring cups and spoon for all liquids, along with verifying the entries you use. Then trust the logging and be patient.