Finding calorie burn for walking in trails

Options
Does anyone know a good website to figure this out? I love to walk in the forest, with a backpack of about 5 to 7 pounds. The trail has it's ups and downs, around rocks and roots. It's not like a hike going up mountains or with a constant change in elevation.
For now, I use the hike/cross country on MFP to calulate the calorie burn.
I know walking on trails burns more calories than walking on a hard surface, but I would like to find somewhere that I can get an accurate(or as close as possible) count.

Thanks

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of that kind of walking, too. When I was new to weight loss I looked up several sites and I also used a heart rate monitor. I kind of averaged them and now I just use a flat number per hour of exercise. It took all the angst out of it, and my exercise is usually about the same exertion level.

Here's a site I like and it has the parameters you mention.

http://calorielab.com/burned
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've looked there, but it doesn't have the trails. But thank you. You're right though, I'm stressing over nothing. An hour walk in the forest or on a bike path is still an hour walk. Thanks.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I use a bluetooth HRM and an app on my phone. Any of them is an educated guess at best. I'm just hoping I've picked the best educated.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It has hiking, both cross country and hills - with and without backpacks...that would be trails...I mean, you're not walking on pavement cross-country. Enter "hiking" in the search box.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    This site has excellent calculators.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calories-burned/
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    It has hiking, both cross country and hills - with and without backpacks...that would be trails...I mean, you're not walking on pavement cross-country. Enter "hiking" in the search box.

I have been using the cross country hiking, but thought they meant a little more vigorous. I'll check again.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I usually figure that for every mile traveled, I've burned 100 calories. Without steep elevation changes, I've found this to be a good estimate.