Running .... NOT A FAN

Options
I really am not a fan of running, I have tried countless times and I guess i just feel very awkward doing it, so most of the time i just do a speed walk... but my question is do you have to run? I feel like to push your body more and more i will need to bring myself to running but I really just don't like it but if its what i have to do to meet my weight loss goal and keep my body stretching for more then i will.

Any opinions out there?

Replies

• junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    my question is do you have to run?

Big old NOPE!

• ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    You don't have to. But if you want to try it, lifting weights makes running a lot easier. I hated running years ago, then I did some strength training for six months (Stronglifts 5x5), and running was MUCH easier.

That said, do the exercise you enjoy!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Only run if you want to...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You don't have to run. If you're after the cardio benefits, there are plenty of other types of cardio. Just do something you don't hate.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I like running, but I only do it over the winter because I hate being hot. It's all about walking and cycling come summer. I don't seem to have any sudden drops in cardio fitness or trouble losing weight when I switch. I love the saying what ever activity you enjoy is the one you should be doing.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    No you don't have to... but I have found that I enjoy running the more i do it... as i get fitter and run farther/faster and PB races i love it more and more!

It never gets easier, you just get better :flowerforyou:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I really am not a fan of running, I have tried countless times and I guess i just feel very awkward doing it, so most of the time i just do a speed walk... but my question is do you have to run? I feel like to push your body more and more i will need to bring myself to running but I really just don't like it but if its what i have to do to meet my weight loss goal and keep my body stretching for more then i will.

Any opinions out there?

If you don't like running, don't run. No real benefit over other forms of cardio except you can get your miles done in a much shorter time. There are plenty of other ways to get your cardio in: walk, swim, bike, etc.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    You do not have to run. There's plenty of other cardio to try.

That said, I love running, but only got to even liking it after I'd gotten close to the end of the C25K program. It wasn't too enjoyable while building up the most basic of bases :tongue:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    so do an exercise you do enjoy. You're not going to stick with running if you don't like it. There's so many other exercises you could do - - find what you like and do that.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    The most important factor in exercising isn't which exercise you do, but that you keep doing it consistently, especially cardio.

If you enjoy being outside for your cardio there's also cycling and hiking. And don't discount that walking you're doing. It's great as long as you're walking briskly enough to get your heart going. You can also add some arm and ankle weights to make it tougher.

If you prefer doing your cardio indoors there's swimming, rowing, ellipticals, aerobic classes, etc.

If you get bored easily you can even switch it up. Swim one day, elliptical the next, etc. If you're only interested in increasing your fitness and losing weight there's no reason to stay on one particular exercise.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    For many years, I hated running....it was something I muddled through because I knew my career path was in a field where yearly fitness tests involved running. Then I stopped because of health issues...and realized I missed it. Trail running is my preference, but I'm extremely heat intolerant, so during the summer I run less, lift more. Lifting is still my passion and I can get a fairly good cardio workout with it...I'd encourage you to give it a try and see if it suits you. If you're competitive, sign up for a 5k and see if training for a goal strikes your fancy.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Any opinions out there?

If you don't like running, don't run. No real benefit over other forms of cardio except you can get your miles done in a much shorter time. There are plenty of other ways to get your cardio in: walk, swim, bike, etc.

Not entirely true. Especially for women, the pounding of running is good to increase bone density and lower the chance or oestoporosis.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Any opinions out there?

I personally love running, but it's not for everyone. I haven't always loved running though. I had to actually train myself and that's when I found my love for it.

To answer your question though, absolutely you DO NOT HAVE TO RUN! If you like walking, add some incline to it or weights! My sister and I mapped out this route around my newphew's football practice that has a great mix of hills (up and down) and flat ways and I tell you, it shreds some poundage!

As long as you're switching up your cardio, you'll be fine. Your body will adapt and get used to things, so switching it up often is important. Walking, elliptical, bike, rowing, etc.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    You don't have to do anything. Especially running. However, there could be some things that might help you enjoy it a little bit. 1 slow down. 2 try outside (if not already) or moving from pavement to trails.

I love this!!! I just did my first 5K not too long ago and I found that while I love running on a treadmill, I love it so much more outside. Now, that's what I aim for... except it's got to be either early in the morning or late because I will keel over in the summer heat.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    No you don't have to... but I have found that I enjoy running the more i do it... as i get fitter and run farther/faster and PB races i love it more and more!

It never gets easier, you just get better :flowerforyou:

^^^ I agree with this. I thought I hated running, now I secretly like it. I generally only run when I am up at the lake and don't have my mountain bike...and it's early morning...and it's cool. But I have found that it is very pleasant to be out running in the country, on dirt roads that are a little gentler on my shins. Last time I ran I was so surrounded by bluebirds and bunnies and deer and little singing frogs, I thought I was in a Disney movie.

Last year I made it halfway through the C25K program, and this year (after spending winter doing the arc trainer in the gym a couple of times a week) I found that I could basically run a 5K, with some walking at the end of the 2nd mile. Granted, this is at a snail's pace of 13 min/mile...but I am getting there.

But you certainly don't have to do it. What I like about it is there is a kind of purity about it--just you, your shoes, the road, and nature. Well, and your underwear and stuff too, but you know what I mean.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Any opinions out there?
    All you have to do to reach your weight loss goal is to eat in a consistent caloric deficit. You don't have to do any exercise at all - but exercise is a good idea for a lot of reasons besides weight loss.

If you hate running, don't run. There are plenty of other ways to increase your cardiovascular fitness and burn calories.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Any opinions out there?

There are lots of options, each of which have strengths and weaknesses.

Personally I had class based CV work, do I don't do it. I do enjoy running and cycling long distances, so I do those.
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    I force myself to like it
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    No need to run. You can lose weight without doing any exercise, it just helps. I lift weights 3x a week and walk every evening for 30 minutes and eat a slight calorie deficit and weight comes off just fine. Be sure you know what your TDEE is and how many calories you're actually eating every day as it may be more than you think which could stall your progress. That's generally what it is for me when I think I've "plateaued".