How do you determine fat for keto

Options
ZodFit
ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
Trying to figure out how much fat / pro/ and carbs I intake for an individual consuming 2130 calories 180lb lean body weight.

Is there a formula such as x.x grams of fat per lb of body weight?

Replies

• Laszlo_Panaflex
    Laszlo_Panaflex Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Is a good question. Tinkering the fat % till you find something that works for you. I do 50% fat, 30% pro and 20% carbs. Seems to work pretty goof for me.
  • ZodFit
    ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Is a good question. Tinkering the fat % till you find something that works for you. I do 50% fat, 30% pro and 20% carbs. Seems to work pretty goof for me.

Thanks I'll mess around
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    There are a few keto TDEE calculators that you can use:

https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/

I used 5% carbs, 20-25% protein, and 70-75% fat while i was losing. I maintained for a while and then upped carbs to 10-15% but I found it triggered an increased appetite. I've now cut back to a goal of 0 crabs, 25% protein and 75% fat.

There's a lot of variation and no true correct keto macros.

Most low carbers have a carb ceiling that is not to be exceeded. How low your carbs need to be for ketosis can vary due to metabolic health, fitness and activity level, age, sex, and caloric intake. Most keto people are under 50g of carbs per day. Some can go higher and stay in ketosis but they time their carbs around a lot of exercise. Many start around 20-30g of carbs per day - that is pretty certain to create measurable ketones even in those with insulin resistance. Often carbs are set around 5-10%.

Protein is typically moderate. Often 20-25% of calories. Protein is a goal you strive to hit. There is no need to go lower unless it is a medically needed ketogenic diet that requires quite high ketones. The minimum protein is about 0.3-0.4g per pound. Many active people prefer to go higher, often up to 35% or so. As a general rule, it appears that high protein does not lower ketone levels until you are eating well over 200+g of protein per day. Again, that is not a problem unless you want high ketones for health or wellness reasons. It won't affect weight loss.

Fat is what fills in the rest. If you have a hungry day, eat more fats. If you are less hungry, cut back on fats. There is no need to hit a fat intake goal, especially if you are overweight as we then have plenty of body fat to use rather than dietary fat.

image05.jpg
  • lardlad
    lardlad Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ZodFit wrote: »
    Is there a formula such as x.x grams of fat per lb of body weight?

I do not follow a Keto diet but I do use this calculator which was posted above: https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ because I have found it to be very accurate after using it for multiple months on and off. It's super helpful for explaining what you're trying to find out.

In Keto you have a range of protein and a maximum amount of carbs to eat. These numbers will generally be fixed for you. The amount of fat is the last thing to choose and it's arbitrary to suit you because the number of calories you pick is arbitrary as well (within a range of course). Pick any number of fat you want that keeps you eating at a deficit of calories and you will lose weight. Stay under 50g of carbs and you will stay in ketosis, which some people believe makes you lose even faster. Stay above your minimum protein and you won't lose muscle while you're losing fat.

If you want to lose faster, lower your fat. If you're too hungry to stick to your diet, raise your fat.

In my experience, I have found that I stay quite satiated with just the protein I need to eat each day. Any fat or carbs are just there as a luxury. Bread to make sandwiches, a glass of milk in the morning, a fatty ribeye steak instead of a chicken breast for dinner, etc.