Can I please get some thoughts?

Options
2»

Replies

• Slimpossible007
    Slimpossible007 Posts: 16,297 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Its difficult to look at our children as overweight but as a parent its our job to do it in a way that doesn't make them hate their bodies.

Finished your sentence for you. I hope you dont mind.

@Poisonedpawn78
    Nope don't mind at all, and a fair add on to the sentence .. That's exactly how I done it with my daughter, I moved more and cut out the junk with her, in fact I don't even think she noticed and bonus is that its helping me :)
  • Dylan_Nizel
    Dylan_Nizel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Jimb376mfp wrote: »
    Have you ever used a BMI calculator on line? According to that 5'9" and 170 is the top of the normal weigh range.
    At 190 he is nearing the Obese category.

Is he active? Play sports or plays computer games?

He is a drum major in marching band

Then odds are that he's not spending a lot of time in the weight room.

If he's really 190 at 5'9" and he's not rocked up from training, then he's rapidly approaching: Obese

The good news is that he's young and should be able to shed the extra pounds with the proper support and guidance.

Alright sounds good. I will try to cut out the junk food. However, won't 1500 calories a day result in rapid weight loss because of his teenage metabolism?
  • Slimpossible007
    Slimpossible007 Posts: 16,297 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't drop him to as low as 1500 (that would be rapid loss) ..

I'm 5' 6 female and I average 1600 a day ... and I'm almost 30 years older ... so my cals are lower than a teen my height should have

For a 5' 9 male he should have more than a female

check out the calculators I posted above.. as long as he is eating slightly under maintenance he will lost weight (even 100 cals) ... the slower he loses the better, hes also a growing boy so you don't want him hungry either :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of parents are in denial of how heavy their kids are... so it's not just you.

He's overweight. However yeah, 1500 is too low. I'd focus more on getting him more active and giving him lower calorie meals.. you don't have to eat sugar or junk food to eat too much meat or pasta.